Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Distortion Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Sansamp Distortion DI

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. Big Muff (American)

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So the battle rages. I want a DI but I don't know if I want a Sansamp or a Big Muff.

I've heard lots of conflicting things about the Sansamp. I've heard the distortion sucks, then i've heard the distortion is amazing. What do you think?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Not sure how many threads you've read, but the Sansamp is really on overdrive not a distortion.

If you want distortion, and these are the two things you've narrowed it down to, then get the big muff. Although, it doesn't have a DI. Unless by DI you meant distortion? If so, that'll certainly get a number of people (including myself) confused ;)

If you want a unit with distortion AND DI in one box, consider the MXR M-80. Lots of reviews etc including comparisons of it vs the Sansamp available via the 'search' function

3. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Big muff isn't a DI !! :meh:

These are too different pedals. They are not in competition, for me.

4. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    after what i have heard, the sansamp is more a overdrive than a distortion(think Geddy Lee), and the Muff is a Fuzz, so i guess the closest to real Distortion would be the muff...

5. Dell

Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    Not used a Sansamp.

As for Muffs... I found the Russian (the black one) Muff holds the bass better than the Americans. Should you choose the muff route try both out as they do sound different from each other. But like *they* said, its not a DI, there is no balanced output on it.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Can someone explain overdrive vs. distortion? is like overdrive something you could use like a whole song because it's not as obnoxious or something?

7. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Overdrive is "some grit to the tone" (Geddy Lee, Chris Squire), while distortion is like, "GNAAAAH GNAAAH" (Anaesthesia [Pulling Teeth]).

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    OOOOOHH.

Screw that man! As much as I love Geddy's and Chris's tone, I want insane distortion.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, for Captain Insano distortion, not much beats a Mesa Boogie V-Twin. $250 a pop, but great sounding pedal.

10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Depending on your rig, I would suggest both. The sansamp will boost your overall tone, and give you more control over over your tone. Plus the DI -direct input to plug into a PA live, or mixer for recording. Throw some nasty distortion on top of that and you've got a killer sound. The Big Muff is good. Theres alot out ther to choose from, depending on your price range. Check the distortion mega thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95172 theres alot of reviews on there. Best thing to do is try em out. It has been alot of trial and error for me, but I finally found one I love - Zvex Woolly Mammoth. Expensive, but worth it if you like insane, over-the-top fuzz.

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Alright thanks guys!

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You can get some intense distortion out of the Sansamp if you pound into the strings with a high output bass and the drive and blend cranked.

It just seems like a natural thing to do for me.

Even more natural to me though is to get a Rat.

13. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

Had my Big Muff several days now and it's definately the real deal. Thick, creamy, nasty distorition.

If it's not real enough...the next step would be slitting your speakers :D

14. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio