1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY wooly mammoth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tbone409, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbone409

tbone409

Feb 17, 2007
    kenosha, wi
    http://www.diy-stompbox.com/Fuzz/ZWoolyElephant.htm
    does any body have any experience with this company? Looks interesting, zvex w/o the huge price, as long as you have no problem with a soldering iron they go for well under 100
    original:

the idea of not paying $250 really appeals to me:D

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It's not cool to clone in production pedals and try to feed of the originals market.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That was exactly my thought. It takes money from builders who already have very thin profit margins. Ironically, if they made more money I think you'd see legal action taken in instances like this.

4. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    This has been hashed over on some other forums. Zvex thinks that they are scum, but due to their location has very little ability to do anything about it without selling the farm.

5. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    So, you guys will clone large run effects, but won't clone small ones at all?

Thats really kinda..well...Stupid. You can't justify cloning small one off effects, but you will justify cloning the big brand ones? Either you justify cloning effects or not, You can't pick and choose.

I say go for it. Buy the clone. make it. Be happy you saved 150$. Screw what everyone else says.

6. What currently in production, big brand effects has anyone that has posted in this thread made? Or even anyone that regularly visits Talkbass effects?

7. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't quite get what yah mean there....

edit

Well what I am saying is, people will clone the Big muff for example, and not look back or feel bad about one bit. becuase EHX makes alot of these units, and they are readily available. They cost like 60$, yet people still clone them, and save a few bucks. But when someone clones the wooly mammoth for example, a unit that isn't made in large groups, is a on off kinda deal, and costs 250$, you all tear into them like hawks. Why? Hes saving 150$. Sure, Zvex is a smaller business, and I am not knockin em, I'm just saying, people here tend to be a bit hypocritical really. They themselves clone effects, but when someone clones a small run effect they get ravished and criticized like a cheap whore. I don't quite get it.

8. Sorry, you say that people think it's ok to clone 'big brand' effects. But when has anyone said it's ok to do this or when has anyone actually cloned any currently in production big brand effects like you say?

It is ok to clone discontinued effects because no one is making money off them anymore, but when you are using other people's designs in your own clones this is illegal and not very fair on these pedal builder who rely on people to buy their effects to make money.

9. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    EHX Big muff.

Do a search.

10. No one is cloning the current circuit of these. They are cloning the past versions of these, i.e. the old sovtek ones and the rams head.

11. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada

Alright, then how about the fellow building the tonebender for people? I do recall it is still in production, or atleast still buyable. I do believe he has also posted in this thread, no?

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    No, that's not what we're saying at all.

13. Nope, no one has built this clone in this thread...

Toasted has said he's building a fuzz pedal but it is an original design as far as i know with many different features from many different pedals with in it.

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    My pedal is an SI fuzzface . . . just like the wooly mammoth is an SI fuzz face.

15. Yeah, so no one in this thread has tried to make a tonebender either.

16. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada

either way. You get my point.

Toasted, You're still kinda making a clone. You're taking aspects of several other effects and combining them into a mega clone. Thats kinda what I said.

17. Bottom line, no one is or should be cloning ANY effects that are currently in production, I don't care if people are. It's a fact that no one should be cloning any effects currently in production, whether the company is small or big, none should be cloned.

18. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    the wooly mammoth is a clone (kinda) of the fuzzface, as Toasted stated. So...should Zvex stop making them?

edit

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411375

Toasted, you're even helping a guy here who's trying to clone a tonebender and a BR-2. And yet you are chirping this guy?

19. No, because the fuzz face is not currently made, so it doesn't really matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.