1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DMX Controllers, MIDI Pedals, and Fade Times

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Baer, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Baer

Baer

Jul 8, 2008
    I am (as are many) new to lighting but realize the enhancement some well-designed basic lighting can provide for a band. I picked up two Chauvet 4Bar-Tri units and am planning my controller scheme.

Functionally, I’d simply like to set up lighting scenes in a DMX controller that I could drive using a MIDI footswitch like the Tech 21 MIDI Moose. I want to be able to manually trigger the scene changes so I can synch scene changes with things happening in the music we’re playing. I’m not thinking about lots of rapid scene changes. And I do not want to rely on the music recognition features of controllers (because I don’t want lots of rapid scene changes).

As an example, after maybe a half dozen scene changes (with fades) within a song, I’d like to end the song with a quick blackout followed immediately by a fade to color within a second or two.

I’ve done a fair amount of research. The Chauvet Obey 40 DMX seems to be exactly want I need … EXCEPT for managing fades between scenes. From what I understand, the Chauvet Obey controllers operating in manual modes have no fade capability. Fades are possible with programmed chases, but then you have little control over the timing of scene changes.

Am I understanding the Chauvet Obey capabilities correctly?

Does anyone know of a controller that includes this capability? Would I have to go to a software controller, and if so, is the MIDI control still available?

Does anyone know of a forum site where one could get good, reliable information on DJ-level (rather than pro-level) lighting?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

Dec 8, 2009
    Have a look at DMXIS. It's software based but is incredibly easy to use

3. Oh my God get the DMXIS! It involves a laptop, but you can use a foot pedal with it to design as complex a scene as you want.

The real value in it for me is that you can set it up with your click track (if you use one) to automatically run your light show without hitting any buttons during your set!

4. Baer

Baer

Jul 8, 2008
    Thanks. I've been reading up on DMXIS, and I'm sure I could design the scenes I want using it. We don't use click tracks so having to bring a computer just for the lighting would be a pain.

The foot control using a double switch seems like it would work but would be limited to moving forward or backward one scene (or bank) at a time. With good planning that would work.

Using a MIDI footswitch seems burdensome since that would require another piece of equipment to get the MIDI info into the computer which would then feed it to the DMX controller.

Any other info or ideas from other lighting-savvy folks?

5. look at the Martin MPC...i love it...you can use MIDI as well. i haven't gone that far into the software yet. but i know that you can use midi notes to activate cues/sequences...not mention the functionality you get is amazing. very simple to use. and great price for it. i paid $450+tx here in Canada, and i get 2 assignable DMX ports. so i can change it to a DMX IN and DMXout if i wanted to connect it to a console as a remote...kinda handy.

the other thing is that you can also use this with Martin Lightjocky II...super great software as well for real basic use

6. Baer

Baer

Jul 8, 2008
    Thanks everyone. I placed my order for DMXIS today. The foot control capabilities were really a deciding factor. I already have both a double foot switch and MIDI controller equipment, so the foot control, ease of programming, and price made it a somewhat easy choice.

Over the many years there was bass (and guitar and keyboard) equipment, then PA equipment, now lighting equipment. For a (well-loved) hobby, this sure has been expensive.

7. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

Dec 8, 2009
    DMXIS is great. You'll love it. You can get some brilliant effects with the oscillator