1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

do all late 70's Fender basses use the same tuners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by psychobilly451, Aug 19, 2007.

1. psychobilly451

psychobilly451

Feb 25, 2007
    do short scale and long scale basses use the same tuners? (musicmaster,mustang,jazz,precision)

2. hoosierdad

hoosierdad

Sep 1, 2003
    Indiana
  3. psychobilly451

psychobilly451

Feb 25, 2007
    great site, but they don't have the info.

4. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    No, IMO.

Apart from the fact that there are two different styles of tuner on the Jazz and Precision after 1975 (by Fender and the Schaller, as below), the Schaller tuners used on the Musicmaster and Mustang basses have shorter posts and possibly smaller base-plates.

I don't have any photographs of the short scale basses to hand, but I suspect that they used the same type of tuners as Schaller made for the MM StingRay (as in the last picture).

Hope this helps, a bit.

Precision Bass (used exclusivley up to 1975 and then sporadically afterwards up to about 1978).
    125-2502_IMG.

Jazz Bass (used exclusively from 1976 onwards with the smaller headstock logo). Also used on the Precision Bass, post 1976.
    140-4090_IMG.

Smaller Schaller "BM" series tuners, as used on all StingRays and possibly the same as late '70s Musicmaster/Mustang tuners.
    130-3084_IMG.

5. psychobilly451

psychobilly451

Feb 25, 2007
    thanks Fender32!

I didn't notice the difference until now. I think you are right about the Schaller BM type tuners.

closetuner.

here is a picture of late 70's-early 80's short scale tuners(musicmaster)

6. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Yep, they're BM's alright! In fact, the shaft looks to be even shorter on the Fender branded ones than on the Schallers.

The larger ones, used on the full scale basses, are marketed as BMFLs by Schaller. They look like this ...

SchallerBMFL.