1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do I need a Jazz or PJ bass? SX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ironrat, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Jazz 5 string

34 vote(s)
    52.3%
  2. PJ 4 string

31 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    Hi guys:

I currently have a PBASS copy franken bass and I want another bass. I am between a 4 string SX PJ or a 5 string J SX.

What bass will be better to keep learning?

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Those are two way different options.

Are you looking to expand into a 5 string?

Plus, its not the equipment that will make you continue learing, IMO.

3. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    Well Jordasch, thats the point. I want to have a 5 string but also to have the PJ combination. Thats my dilema......if I could I just purchase both.

4. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    The thing is, learning has nothing to do with your gear. Most people you see who play an instrument differently, upside down, reversed, etc., didnt have any other way, yet theyre amazing musicians.

The equipment has nothing to do with it.

If you want to learn a 5 string, buy the 5. If you want more tonal options, buy the PJ..

BUT, if youre looking to learn, put the money into lessons, books, cds, etc. ;)

5. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    well I got Guitar pro :D I just played my favorite warming song (Animal Def Leppard)

what a hard decision......I can just buy one GRRRRRRRRRR!!!

6. The 5-string J bass will definitely expand your range, so for maximum challenge I'd move that direction. as a bonus, you'll get the very different Jazz sound. Be warned, though, it can be a big jump from 4-string if you haven't played a 5-string before. You may decide you can't live without the low B string anymore! :D

7. IMO, the PJ is a much more versatile setup for any style of music. youll never have trouble finding a useable tone :ninja:

8. holllowbody

holllowbody

Mar 25, 2009
    Why try to decide between the two when you could just buy both or one then the other at a later date?

9. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008

That is what I fear :D

Damn good point!!!!!!!!!!! The problem is which route I should follow NOW: more tone range(PJ) or more note range (J)???

10. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    ok, I have both on my cart....only one will get home.

hard decision!

11. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Do this.

Buy them both, send the one back you dont like.

12. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
  13. isnt there a PJ 5?

14. If you want to learn 5 then buy the 5er. You can always get a tonal change (via bass, pups, etc.) later.

If you want a tonal change then look into the pj. I play 5ers and am currently learning to play fretless on a beater p that I picked up for 75.00 at a pawn shop. I will smooth out the neck where the overambitious person ripped the fret wire out. Then I will fill in the gaps and hopefully not screw up the epoxy coating. That is learning as well. :)

JMHT

15. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    Not on rondo :-(

16. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    are that 5 notes(on the 5str) really THAT necesary?
    I love the look of the PJ, curious about the J

since I am still a beginner, so I think I will stay on 4strings by now. But I WILL get a 5str eventually.

Thanks for voting