1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do people like the BOSS GT-6B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KPO2000, May 12, 2010.

1. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    I have a pedalboard that I'm pretty happy with, but am being offered a clean Boss GT-6B for $100. I'm wondering if I should bother even checking it out. Do people like the synthy sounds? How do they compare to the Akai Deep Impact for example?

Thanks,

Ken

2. I just can judge it's sound quality. I compared it with the new GT10B and it's crazy how much tone the 6B "steals".
    I wouldn't give a penny for the 6...

3. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I use mine exclusively, 3 church services a week (4 if you count the other bass player during the spanish service).

If you don't want it, please hook me up with the seller.

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    sorry, I cannot comment on the synth sounds, that's about the only thing I don't use.

5. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    I replaced my pedalboard with the gt-6b and I'm glad I did. I get all the sounds I want from it and it has tons more options that I haven't even looked at yet. Surely there are dedicated pedals that are of higher quality, but that doesn't mean this unit is bad at all. I love it!

I wouldn't buy it for the synths alone, but then again $100 for this unit is dirt cheap. Also, Victor Wooten uses it so it must be the greatest thing evar!!1

6. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Friend of mine has it and likes it, I remember him commenting specifically that the modulations sounded great. He doesn't usually use the synth tho, so I can't comment on that. He did ask to borrow my SYB-5 to use in a show once, tho; said he needed the "hold" function, which the GT6B doesn't have.

7. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I bought one when they started to ship, having using it since then I can say it's a nice device. Not as good as my pedal collection but good enough for any situation.

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I never cared for mine. It was cool for metal music (it honestly was lol), but it was a tone sucker and unless you were using it for distortion it seemed to make everything sound dull and flat. I recently sold it to fund other pedals and I`ve been enjoying individual boxes much more. That said, for $100 it`s definitely worth a go because it is a very well built and reliable unit. If you don`t like it you can always flip it for around $180-200.

9. maybe

maybe

Oct 19, 2008
    I'm pretty sure it does. It's one of the parameters of the synth and you can assign it to the ctl button.

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    IME, the synths are quite varied and flexible, with a lot of tweakable parameters. However, even after adjusting the sensitivity, it it quite tricky to control. Unless you damp well, the triggering can go nuts if it senses more than one note or harmonic overtones.

The modulation effects such as chorus, phase/flanger and the delay/reverb effects are great. Full and lush, with detail and again very tweakable. The EQ is also very flexible and useful. Everything in the unit is just so damn tweakable. Many people say this makes it hard to programme, but once you learn the system, it makes if very easy to get exactly the sounds you want.

The weak points however (very weak in my opinion) are the amp sims and OD/dist models. At clean setting the amp sims are passable and usable, but push them into overdrive and it sounds very artificial like digital clipping with no warmth or natural tube-like quality. The same goes for the OD models, it's impossible to get a natural, warm sounding gentle overdrive from this unit (anyone who says it can obviously hasn't experienced decent overdrive before). The distortions and fuzzes aren't so bad as the saturation masks the inadequacies, but it still sound artificial and lifeless, with no "bite".

I'm not all that keen on the compression either, they seem to colour the tone too much. Other people have had more luck with this section (Bongo for instance), but I just can't get any of the 4 compressors to sound quite right.

By all means check one out if synths and mod/delay effects are high on the agenda. But if it's distortion you're after I wouldn't bother.

11. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Really? He must have missed it then, heh. Anyway, if the SYB-5 is any indication (and I don't know if it is), the tracking in the Boss multi could be tricky to get under control. I get a lot of glithces trying to play with my SYB; so much so that I've given up on using it in the board. It does work as a nice noisemaker when set to self-trigger, tho.

12. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    The Synth is the worst part of the GT6B. I've had mine for 5 years now, And it's served me really well (pitch glide is fantastic for Tool!) But if you're looking for synth, I'd go with a different pedala(not the boss syb-5 either)

13. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Over-all the GT-6B is "O.K.", actually that price you have there is great!!
    Had mine for 2 years before upgrading to the GT-10B, which is very much better, because it has an obscene crazy amount of effects in it.
    I wanted something better in the way of synths, so i got a Roland GR-20 to go with the GT-10B.

The GT series has the fantastic and powerful things in it called "Assigns", eight selectable controllers which can change any parameter or setting in the GT-6B while you move the Expression pedal or press the CTL footswitch.
    This is something your analog pedal board does not feature, and some thing you should concider realizing that concept behind it for taking your sound scape to a new level.

14. Achilles2012

Achilles2012

Mar 28, 2010
    It looks like I am dragging this one up from the archives but I recently purchased a GT6B used and in great shape for $ 100.00 and although I am relatively new to the effects game, it seems to have some very cool features. It does seem to sapp some of the natural tone away as I have always played clean bass and I could tell immediately. It's still a handy tool to have around for a modern metal cover bassist. I would like to try the GT10B eventually.

My guitarist has the GT3, He can set the expression pedal to rock back (min) - Tuner.

Another guitarist has the GT6, He can also set the tuner to do this as well as other tuner functions.

I have the GT6_B - I can't find it in the manual and I have tried several methods of getting the GT6_B expression pedal assigned to the tuner when I rock the pedal back. It just doesn't happen ... Grrrrr :help:

*** The GT3 never did have this tuner tip in the manual, according to my guitarist, somebody told him about it later ...

I was hoping there's a trick I am missing ?

15. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    For the price you can't beat it..

16. Mr.Tannerdal

Mr.Tannerdal

Aug 12, 2010
    I prefere separate pedals for each sound to maintain a good tone but shure it's easier to have everything in one box. I don't think I would change my pedalboard for a BOSS GT-6B. Try one out, and if it feels right- go for it. Good luck!

17. Achilles2012

Achilles2012

Mar 28, 2010
    GT6B

If this option is even available or not I know gumtownbassman has the facts. It's not anywhere in the manual but I am 95% certain that this is possible.

Can I assign the exp.pedal to tuner so that when you are at max you have full sound. Then when you rock pedal back to min it auto engages the tuner ?

If so could you please help me out ?

Thanks,

achilles

18. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    THE GT-6B is a cut down and different model from the rest.
    No assignable tuner on the gt-6b, they used the bypass function instead.
    The tuner can only be activated by the tuner button, or pressing both the bank pedals.

The gt-10b is about 400% more in features.

19. the GT-10B is the coolest thing ever!

20. Achilles2012

Achilles2012

Mar 28, 2010
    Thanks for the reply, I knew you would have the answer!

I got it cheap so I can't complain too much, but yeah I have read many good things about the GT10_B.

Since I have your attention. Where can I get the adapter that connects me to the PC for the fx_editor ?

Thanks again ...

achilles