do pots matters ??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by abriemzh, Apr 14, 2005.

1. do pots matters ??
    i mean the impendace (or resistance) , i have read some posts that say using 500 kohm could make the upper frequencies flow more than when using lower impendace pots.

and is it matter, using a non-branded pots or using a well known brand pots???
  2. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It's my understanding that for pickup volume you want to use what was first installed in your bass. When you talk about the highfrequencies "flowing" better when using a 500K that's just the passive tone pot. As for branded vs. generic pots it doesn't really matter too much as long as it's well assembled and it works.
  3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    In a passive bass the control pots are used as a voltage divider, so they present an alternate path for the signal instead of being in series where the signal flows through them. The higher resistance pots will allow more highs to pass, but it isn't usually a big deal. The selection of tone capacitor is something that I'd put more interest in.

Just like everything else, stay away from junk parts. Using good quality pots makes a difference. I've been using CTS pots and Sprague caps in the Jazz basses that I have been wiring lately and I think that they are worth every penny. The tone controls work right, the taper on the pots is very natural with no crackling or flat spots.
  4. MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    Amen :cool:
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you really want more highs, remove the tone pot/cap completely. I do agree with fretlessrock that the cap will make more difference than the pot.

The advantage of good quality pots are quiet and smooth action. Considering that a good quality pot is $5 or less, why bother with a cheap one?
  6. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Right, because a cap to ground is a high pass filter (or is this low pass, I might have confused the terms).

A cap inline with the signal is the opposite, you could control how much low end goes through. right?
  7. hmmm interesting. so tone capasitor had more effect to the tone ???
    so how does it work?? or how to choose a tone cap ???
    (like higher the cap means less high freq, or something??)
  8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    A resistor inline with a cap to ground is a low pass filter. It starts blocking frequencies above a set frequency.

A cap inline with a resistor to ground is a high pass filter. It blocks frequencies below a set frequency.

You choose a tone cap by ear ;) Higher cap means less high frequency. The normal value, for a P bass, is 0.050uF (0.047uF is the same). Try 0.1uF to block more highs, try 0.022uF or 0.01uF to block less.