Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do Roscoes Rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CLJMB, Oct 6, 2005.

1. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    Will a Roscoe LG 3005 work in a louder rock band? I need something that will work well on a quiet piano gig as well as the rock band. I play mainy fingerstyle through a AI Focus and a Schroeder 1210.

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I play quite a bit of classic rock with my Roscoe SKB. I'm very happy with how it sounds rocking, and for every other style of music I've used it for.

IMHO Roscoes do the rock thing very well.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I've owned 3. They do rock. Great tone.

Rob

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yes, they do. And they do it well.

5. notrt

notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    Good morning:

Yes, they work great in a rock context, and their lower registry sounds are to die for---shoot, they work wonderfully in all contexts that I have played. My SKB-3006 worked so well that it was the first 6'er I used in a secular band...and I sold a lot of fancy boutique basses after I bought it and started using it regularly, too.

I've got nothing but good to say about them.

Richard Collins a/k/a "notrt"

6. I recommend Roscoes, and I play lots of different styles.

Best preamp for just straight "rock" is a Bartolini preamp. An Aguilar 3-band is also a good choice. The Demeter preamp that Roscoe offers may be too bright for "rock"....but to each his own.

So, to answer your question....YES!!

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    IMO a Roscoe can adapt to any style playing/music. I'm required to play all styles of music at my church. Everything from straight ahead rock for the youth to overtures and jazz tunes with the orchestra and it shines through it all. For what it's worth, I prefer the Aggie OBP-3 and Demeter pre for the fretted basses and Bart for a fretless. The Aggie and Demeter pre's just sound more open IMO. If you do a lot of slap and funk I'd go with the Demeter pre. You might also like the sound of the SKB body style more. To my hear it has a phatter sound.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've used my LG3000 for a ska/punk band, a hard rock cover band, and a modern bluegrass band, and it's adapted to the sounds I've wanted with no problem.

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    A Roscoe is a good choice for just about any style of music...they're tone machines and especially good for Rock, IMO.

For you application, I'd say go with the Aguilar pre though.

10. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I play mostly classic rock, R&B and Motown right now. I bring two basses to rehearsals and gigs: My SKB-3006 fretted and my SKB-3005 fretless. Not only do I love them, but the band loves them too. I use the Demeter preamp on both and boost the bass as needed and a little midrange and I'm good to go.

I just love playing them no matter what type of music I'm playing.