1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do speakers make *that much* of a difference? Ampeg/hartke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AlstottMVP2, Sep 28, 2008.

1. AlstottMVP2

AlstottMVP2

May 9, 2007
    I am using a 450 watt Ampeg B2RE head.

I am running it through an Ampeg 1x15 cabinet.
    It sounds good but just isn't loud enough with my very loud rock cover band.

So I'm considering running it through a 4x10 hartke VX410 bass cabinet.

From the experienced ears here... will the hartke sound that much worse 1) because it''s not an Ampeg, and 2) because it's 4 10's and not a 15 (for lows)?

I can't tell much of a difference, just a bit more mids. But I'm onstage and not 100 feet away where the people hear it. Thanks!

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have not played through either speaker. Still, a 4x10 won't necessarily have less bass than a 1x15. It also probably won't be sufficiently louder than the 1x15 to make a huge difference.

Would you consider pairing these speakers? Are they both 8 Ohms? This might be your only hope.

3. +1 I'm with Fdeck use them both...

I use both a 4x10 and a 1x15 cab I split my signal from my Pre-amp into two seperate amps. The 4x10 gets the affected signal (Distortion, Fuzz etc.) the 1 x 15 gets the clean unaffected signal works like a charm for cutting through the mix. and the sound is flat out awesome....lol :bassist:

4. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    in most situations a 4x10" will outperform a 1x15" for volume.

and as stated already.... stack the 410 and 115 and you'll have a rig that'll do what you need.

5. AlstottMVP2

AlstottMVP2

May 9, 2007
    The 1x15 is 8 ohms, according to the website.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ampeg-B115E-1X15--Speaker-Cabinet-603089-i1153168.gc

The hartke 4x10 is 8 ohms

HERE is my stress...
    I ran them both with a cheapo HA2500 250 watt amplifier...
    For over a year, with no problem.
    It is
    250 watts at 4 ohms
    180 watts at 8 ohms

So would it work fine with my B2RE head?

It broke twice on me, got it soldered. It's working now, and i'm SCARED to break it somehow. I use EB Musicman bass.

Bottom line... if the 2 speakers work fine with the cheapo Hartke, it should work with the Ampeg B2RE fine, right???

6. Should work just fine!

7. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    for a bit of input:
    my ampeg 410HLF (not HE) can handle lower lows than a ampeg 115
    only thing that beats it is a 118 but that has no highs...
    its probably because of the ports on the hlf (it has a horn as well) its 500 watts
    wow, great cab
    i know you're not going for another ampeg but just putting it out there about the lows

8. AlstottMVP2

AlstottMVP2

May 9, 2007
    thanks!!

9. 4x10's to my ears put out about like 2x15's. I use to have a Hartke 4.5XL and a 115XL that I pr'd together. The 4.5XL (4x10 with a tweater) could go lower and louder than the 115XL.

10. AlstottMVP2

AlstottMVP2

May 9, 2007
    Together, they're about 2/3 louder.

11. The B2R is 350w @4ohms aint it? So use 2 x 8ohm cabs=4 ohms & U should get HEAPS of volume!!!! I did!! USed a EV TL 1x15" & a home made 4x10" & had a HUGE sound!!!

12. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Yea - use the 2 cabs together - you'll be plesantly surprised how much that will add to your fullness and perceived volumne, partly because, and I'm not for sure on your amp, but my early 90s SVT goes from 200 watts with 8ohms to 350 at 4 ohms, a significant increase from the power end. And to answer your question - speakers, in my experiences - contribute less than a good and fairly high powerd (300 up) amp to your volumne and sound. Now I don't mean any old POS speakers, but decent ones, can sound just as good, with enough power, as the higher priced ones. At least this has been my experience. :cool:

13. i hade a 1x15 and switche to a 4x10 and for what ever reason it now hase MORE bass...weird but the 10's i feel are the way to go

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you tilt it back or put it on top of another cab, you'll hear it just as the audience hears it. If you keep it flat on the floor, all the mids and highs will blow past you.