Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you guys remember coil cords?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Skel, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I can't remember how or why, but it dawned on me a while back that *nobody* uses coil cords anymore - you know - like Hendrix used. When I was a little kid, I thought those looked *so* cool. It turns out that coil cords were really bad quality. I found this place that has super high quality coil cords, so I bought 2, one for me and the other for the guitar player, just to make us look a little different than everybody else. Just in case any of you are interested - here's the link -these are heavy duty, last you a lifetime coil cords, and they just bring back that 60's look.

http://www.edromanguitars.com/tech/cables.htm

Skel

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm gonna make a request right now that we don't make this thread about Ed Roman.

That said, I've always thought coil cables looked pretty awesome, but I just can't dig the lack of distance you get.

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    No - my intention is not to make this about anybody's web site in particular, it just happens to be where I found these cables. I will say that the service I got was excellent - I had the cables before I knew it.

Skel

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm not saying this to you...Ed Roman has a habit of becoming the subject of discussion in almost any thread where he's mentioned. People love to dish on this guy. Search if you're not familiar with what I'm talking about.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Without making this an Ed Roman thread, they're good cables. A buddy of mine has them and they're great for that vintage look and feel, but I can't stand having my bass pulled in a direction, even a little bit if I'm more than 10 or so feet from my amp.

Just my $0.02

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I don't think I could use those cables - I'm with the other guys in saying that I wouldn't be able to stand doing htat.

If I got those I'd unwind them and get it straight and have a really long cable...

7. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    When I first started playing I bought a coiled cable.

It broke within a month.

I've bought several since since but they all seem to break, perhaps its just me?

For me their just to short and a little two heavy for the little amount of length you acually have.

8. Funny, reminds me of my old neighbors. They had this van that they cut the back end off of, and welded a pickup truck rear end on. A little strange, but ok.

What really got me was that they then put a cap on the pickup portion. Just seems to me they ended up essentially with a covered truck, which is exactly what the van they started with consists of in the first place. The strangest part was one day they had a barbeque, and these home made monstrosities were parked all the way down the street. Must be some weird subculture that McGuyver's their vans as a hobby.

One day they came over to borrow a thermometer, their kid had a bad fever. Just seemed weird to have a kid without owning a thermometer. They seemed really curious about the digital one we had, like they never saw one before, but didn't want to admit it. No place to walk, so much furniture/people living there, bed in the front room. First time we were in the house.

Whole thing reminded me of like a bizarre reality show, the people living in the woods from wherever the movie Deliverance was set swap places with suburbanites for a certain period of time.

Randy

9. kubacki

kubacki Guest

May 24, 2003
    Brunswick, Me
    I got a cheap coiled cable 5 or so years ago from Radio Shack. Still holding up. I'm not sure if they still have them though.

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Aaaw, man, why do people keep dredging up all these suppressed memories? Coil cords have to be THE dumbest looking musical accessory of all time. I don't even like the new coil hoses that were all the rage a few years ago. How cool a rock star can you be when you list in the direction of the cord's pull and it looks like you have a wee little piggy tail emerging from your instrument?

11. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    You mean they make something better? Huh. Ain't science wonderful! :p
    In the studio, I insist on a good coilcord when three or four other people are involved. I am tired of replacing the Electrosocket on my axe when someone walks over the straight cord. They also stay off the floor so when I roll the chair back to nudge the EQ down, I don't run over the cord and fall on my ass. Cheapo damn chairs! It is hard to find a low-noise, low-loss coily that will last a while without getting touchy. My big problem with them is that I can't quit playing with them while talking to people. It's like popping those bubble-wrap thingies.

12. When I'd watch the Partridge Family show as a kid, I thought the coolest thing on it was the coiled cord on Danny Partridge's bass.

Unfortunately by the time I finally got around to playing bass 30 years later, coiled cords were out. ;-(

13. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    They still have them (maybe not the same quality as yours, though). I had a situation in February when I needed a cord fast, and the only thing open nearby was a Radio Shack, and the only thing they had in stock was a coil cord. Shiny black vinyl, very stiff, I don't think it even stretches to ten feet, and if you stretch it all the way out it takes forever to recoil. By far the worst piece-of-junk cable I've ever owned in my life. I think I still have it in a box somewhere if you want it. :)

Semi-O.T.: My favorite cords these days come from Lava Cable -- great quality, fair prices, nice proprietor. No connection other than a satisfied customer.

'rick

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    cool cables from Core One
    http://www.coreoneproduct.com/pages/cableweb/cablehome.php

MF sells them in black, red, white & clear. If I didn't start using http://www.procablesnsound.com for cables (thanks again for the hook up Biker4him!) I'd pick up a white coil (I might still anyway... they are just too cool!).

I've talked with a guy @ core one. The Bullet Coils are engineered by an ex-monster cable engineer.... for whatever that is worth.

My local Fender/Peavey mom & pop has a heavy Peavey Coil cord forsale. I almost picked it up last year.

sparktone: yeah, I thought so too :bassist:

15. 76Tbird

76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003
    The first cord i ever gigged with when i was 15 was a 10ft grey coily, and i have missed it ever since it went bad. Besides the Doctor's reasons, they also stay off the back of your legs and out from under your feet. Thats it, i'm buying one today!

16. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    when i bought my 82 musicman sabre last summer, it came with sweet coil cable, i dont know the length or anything, but its a univox low noise, and it worked great... for a week. but now it makes great decoration in my studio (closet). i do have a cheap radioshack coil cable that i use when i cant find anything else though

17. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    You mean he was actually plugged into something??!???!

:bag: :D

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    My first cord, ~30 years ago, was a coiled one. I think I fixed it about five or six times before I gave up on it.

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have a couple coil cords in my misc. suitcase that I take to gigs. They really aren't very long, so I don't use them as instrument cords. But they are there in case my straight ones short out or if I need a quick patch cable solution.

20. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I've owned a few coils in my day. I had a Whirlwind cable that was 1/2 coil and 1/2 straight. Man that was money. :D

I might have to get another soon.