Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you like cheap basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Mar 2, 2004.

1. I do! (And I have several fairly high-end ones too; a Godin A4 fl and a Warwick...) I just can't seem to stay away from those cheapies tho; it's like an damned addiction!

Well, anyway, yesterday I was in Guitar Center and....
    And, I said, stay out of the bass section; you're here to pickup some computer software, thas all... And besides, you're currently looking for a dbl bass too, so don't blow your $$...!
    -But maybe just one look wouldn't hurt, right?
    And so of course there it was; a cheap Chinese knock-off of a "Beetle-bass", with a 'Jay Turser' label onnit...
    Don't try it, I said! (And so of course I did.) And of course the damn thing sounded pretty good, and I always wanted a lightweight violin-bass, and looky here this thing was used but looked brand new..! (Used? It hadn't a mark on it, and didn't even have the stick-um paper offa the PU's yet!) $189? -Give 'ya $140 I say (knowing they'll never go for it) but he say's $150, and I go hmmmmm....?? (Geez, I can prolly buy it and play it for a few months and then sell it for just what I paid, y'know?)
    So I am now the proud owner of a $150 Jay Turser RTB-B2 "Beetle-bass"! And I like it; it has a nice mellow sound, is lightweight, shortscale (for a change), and has an excellent narrow well-fretted neck and fingerboard, and is finished beautifully in sunburst! (And maybe I might not sell it inna few months...) ;)

And I become aware that something about this bass is very familar to me; and then I remember the $500 Epiphone Rivioli I had around 6 years ago, and I look again at the fit and finish, the edging, the fretboard, the neck, the saddle and the bridge of this violin bass and sunnuvagun it's almost exactly the same as my old guitar-shaped f-hole Epi Rivioli...!
    And y'know what? I'd be willing to bet that the Chinese factory that makes these "Jay Tursers" is prolly the same damn place that puts out Epiphone's Riviolis! It's just too similar to be that much of a coincidence, IMO!
    Greywoulf :cool: :bassist:

2. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I go by sound, appearance/construction.
    So yeah if its got good tone, stays in tune fairly well then hell yes, i DO LIKE it very much

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So far my experience with cheap basses is 1 for 1. Bought an Essex fretless P quite blindly, never before playing an Essex, nor a fretless P. It arrived and i was quite impressed. No major problems with it still after 5 months or so. 2 deadspots in the neck but it doesnt bother me much. I changed the pickguard and probably by next Christmas ill change the pickup to a bartolini.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I like finding OLD (70s) Japanese ripoff basses if I can get them for the right price (read: DIRT cheap!). Some of them were actually pretty well made and you can fix 'em up for cheap.

5. Playing in several "pick-up" bands, I feel more comfortable toting a $100 bass to the middle of nowhere to play Skynyrd and Ozzy than I do my "babies". I've got a Jay Turser 5-string Musicman clone, a J&D Brothers Jazz (basically an SX), and a Jay Turser Beatle Bass on the way.

What surprises me is that the Jazz, with it's Chinese no-name pickups, actually records better than most of my high-end stuff.

6. Quality first. Price second.

If I find a good bass that's cheap? Hey, who am I to argue. :D :D :D

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    No, I don't. :D

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Just a couple of weeks ago, I picked up an old Hondo Longhorn and I'm loving it. Say what you will, but I like the looks (mmm...flan.) and it really sounds good! :hyper: It goes from a super deep p tone or more tickytack baritone tone with the flick of a switch. Put on some Chromes. I'm not going to change a thing on it.

Marshall

9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I do. I have owned some really nice ones over the years. If it sounds good and plays well - why not. It would be nice if Steve Barr would post here - I bet he has found some serious gems.

Dan

10. I'm with most of you guys. I'll be drawn to a $200 instrument MUCH quicker than I am a $1500 one. Quality construction is important but for the most part, I figure that everything else is expendable and replaceable.

Gimme a HO anyday!

11. ;) I have 4 basses and I have a total of less than $1,400 invested. In descending price order:

Hamer 2TEK CruiseBass = $399

Reverend Rumblefish XL = $360

D-Bass P-Bass Clone = $320

MIJ Fender Fretless J = $300

12. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Yes, cause i can beat the crap out of them.

13. Yes, I admit it, I bought a yo-kramer neck thru 5er. Thing is, I like it a lot. Construction is solid, good tuners, mediocre pickups and bridge, but what the heck...It's a neckthru 5 string with wide string spacing and I only gave $200 for it brand spanking new.

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I like my cheapo passive blue Kingston. Hasn't let me down.

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If it's something unique like one of the many funky basses made in the 50s and 60s (Supros, Danos, Kalamazoos, etc.), sure I get into 'em but I have zero interest in cheap knockoffs of more expensive basses (SX, OLP. musicyo, etc.).

16. I am notoriusly cheap when it comes to basses and buy cheap and sell hi sometimes doubling or more my money. I'd rather have 10 $400.00 basses than 1 $4000.00 bass. I have some really nice basses and none were more than $400.

17. Which I got not knowing exactly how it would sound or play and turned out to be the best bass I've bought so far :D

18. ThunderBoomer

ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    Peavey Fury, $100.

Univox Professional (P-bass), $170 with case.

I've got a OLP Stingray copy on the way, $155 shipped.

Then I got a couple more expensive. But for a jam session with beer involved . . . take a cheapie.

19. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Of course, low-end Ibe's (and I mean low - GSR 200s) are my bass of choice. Yank them guts, break out the router, grab some boutique transplants, and solder down. Strap on some TI's, set that puppy up, and I'm good to go. If a bass put food on my table, it may be different. I've had and played some high end stuff and they're nice but for me it's just overkill.

By the way, that Jay Turser should go for close to $200 on ebay. I have a Rogue that I just put on ebay tonight. Fun little pieces but there's always that banjo sound coming thru no matter what you run it through. George Martin must have really tweaked some knobs for McCartney cause, from what I could produce, that bass design is about as one trick a pony as they come, old Beatle stuff - Hofner or not. You can push for some other stuff but it's not something you enjoy in the process. I love the light weight and ease of play tho.

20. i bought some really terrible pawn shop brand basses which werent even worth the effort of throwing them away!(somehow i think i broke even though :D )i think this is something that keeps me away from buying cheapies and knock-offs, and i may be missing out on some awesome basses but i am always up for an awesome bargains

i am kinda fond of epiphone products though :bag: