Do you play more than just a bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bighouse, Nov 27, 2022.

1. I can’t help but notice in many photos people post of their music rooms or setups that often there are other instruments other than bass guitars shown. Guitars, drums, keyboards, and even today I saw trumpets and other brass instruments. I mostly assumed it was a band space issue, or multiple players in the house- but some photos have a “it’s all mine” feel.

Which instruments do you play other than a bass?

Was the bass your first instrument?

If you play other instruments, which instrument is your “go-to”?

scott sinner, Al Rivera and B-Mac like this.
  2. rpt50

rpt50

Jan 10, 2021
    You should do this as a poll.

3. Joeywhat

Joeywhat

Nov 1, 2022
    Been playing sax for 25 years, keyboard on and off for 5 years, and have just started learning bass.

Kubicki Fan and 4SG like this.
  4. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    Rhythm guitar and sax are the only other instruments I practice on in addition to bass.

I am no longer competent on the following, but was at some point in time

double bass
    Piano
    French horn
    Baritone
    Tuba

I started on bass, rhythm guitar and sax at the same time.

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Yes, guitar, pedal steel/lap steel/dobro, drums and a tiny bit of keys/synth.

6. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Trumpet was my first instrument, even majored on it in college. Don’t really play anymore horn though. I play a little keys, but am a terrible reader! Other than bass, my main instrument is guitar these days.

7. ejaggers

ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    My secondary instrument is piano, and years ago I was a drummer,
    but what I find amazing is what I can't do.

I can't play a lick of guitar even though I've had lessons several times over the years....057912

8. smarthound

smarthound

Mar 15, 2020
    I started on guitar and switched to bass a couple of years later. I still play guitar now and again.

I can play drums at an amateur level, and with keyboards I can fool anyone who can't play at all into thinking that I can.

I tried but failed to learn to play sax!

9. CletusMarley

CletusMarley Knuckle Dragger Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Tejas
    Guitar, mandolin.

Viggo51 likes this.
  10. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I've picked up guitar. I mostly think of guitar as a tool to help me think better about harmony and layering instruments. I still pick up bass 90% of the time when I wanna practice. Guitar is cool, but for me bass is more exciting to play.

Mickey666 likes this.
  11. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I started with piano lessons at age 5 or 6. Nothing really amounted from that, because I had a terrible attention span unless I was reading a book.

3rd and 4th grade I played recorder, like most kids.

From 5th- 9th grade I played baritone horn. For about 6 months in 7th grade I even played some flute.

But after I quit the school band after 9th grade I picked up bass and I've never looked back. January 1994 was when I started taking bass lessons (I was 15 going on 16). I've had periods throughout my life when I stopped playing sometimes for years at a time, but fate always brought me back to bass. I'm glad for my knowledge on theory and my ability to read both bass and treble clef.

I never once wanted to play guitar. I always wanted to play bass. Maybe it was from playing baritone horn and being situated near all the bass instruments in the school band, that I learned to love all the basslines I was surrounded by. Even now, I'm totally uncomfortable playing guitar. Tiny neck and tiny strings all crammed together makes my fingers feel cramped. I've made many attempts but all have gone plop.

Pauly 4001 and Mickey666 like this.
  12. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I also started on trumpet and baritone horn, switch to guitar then bass which is what I always wanted to play in the first place. Still play guitar also but haven't touched a horn in years. I also fooled around with an alto sax one summer, it's the most expressive instrument I've ever played. I wish I had stuck with it. My reading is rudimentary as I always played by ear.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  13. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    PXL_20221012_042930644.jpeg
    All of that plus sax and clarinet, bass guitar and guitar.

Started in 5th grade band on cornet/trumpet, started playing rock and roll (bass and guitar) in 6th grade, double bass at about 20, switched from trumpet to reeds (clarinet and sax) in my early 20s.

14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I also play electric bass. ;)

And cello.

Killing Floor, Mickey666 and logdrum like this.
  15. WoodyJ

WoodyJ

Jul 29, 2008
    Atlanta GA suburb
    Guitar, some drums and trumpet

16. swink

swink

Jan 10, 2019
    The "just a bass" happens to be one of my favorites. in addition, I also play for bassist and for cool guy in the background with a simplified guitar with 4 strings.:D

Killing Floor likes this.
  17. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I messed around with piano, drums and guitar, but never very seriously.

On the other hand I was very serious about playing bass.

kerrycares likes this.
  18. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderators Local A440 Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Under the flight path
    And since this is a threat about *other than* basses, off it goes to Miscellaneous.

19. saxophone. I have and play the different sizes, soprano, alto, tenor and this year I started Baritone. I play tenor mostly but that seems to be changing with baritone.
    Also play piano, guitar and drums.

Discount Bassy likes this.