1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

do you think 2000 is alot for a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maiden1717, Jan 20, 2012.

1. maiden1717

maiden1717

Jan 6, 2012
    what do you think?

2. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Depends on your personal financial situation, experience, and the bass. When I was a youngin' I would have killed for a MIM Fender, and I think I recall that a Marcus Miller in natural ash was an unobtainable dream.

Ten years later I am in a comfortable financial situation as a software developer and, depending on the bass, dropping $2,000 would hardly make me blink. I bought a StingRay 5 Classic with a bad-ass birdseye maple board in mint green without really thinking much about it. As long as I'm putting money into savings, paying my bills on time, and slashing student loans as quickly as possible, I have no problem spending some disposable income now and again. Although I probably won't be able to say the same thing in five years when there's a woman watching the bank account! ;)

3. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    Not really. If you consider that you can keep it for a life time it's a pretty good deal.

4. maiden1717

maiden1717

Jan 6, 2012
    Thanks man for the info. Im 17 so its really hard to come up with cash like that. lol But like you say its worth it.

5. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    How long have you been playing?

6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    No, not really. If you can afford it then why not?

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i think $1000., give or take a few hundred, will buy an excellent bass. i've played alot of instruments from $50. to $4500. and the best value happens for me in the $1k bracket. to each his own... ;)

8. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    No.

9. I got my ric new in december for 1080$ , i had another rick i paid 1105$ for and that was the most exspensive bass i have owned. After about 900$ i get pretty protective of them so i dont think i would feel comfortbale with a 2000$ bass., but i dont think its alot just more then i would wanna pay for 1 bass.

Your 17 ad if your thinking of going to college, need a car etc then i would hold off but if you can swing it then id go for it.

10. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Don't worry about it man, and don't sweat it when you see people on here dropping thousands on a bass. I was in your shoes when I was younger. Like most people here, I didn't have a lot of money as a teen. I made due with a Squier (in the bad old Affinity Series days) until I was out of college. If you excel in what you do and find a job in something you're passionate about, you will be able to sustainably spend a lot of coin on your dream bass. :)

If you're investment-conscious (not that most basses are great investments), look for a make and model that holds its value, and buy used if you can. It's probably not a good idea to buy a brand new Warwick Thumb for $2,000, but I wouldn't think twice about buying a Roscoe for that much.

I think of most basses as "fun-vestments," as cheesy as that sounds. For a decent new bass, I can expect to get a 65-75 percent return if/when I sell it. What I lose in cash, I gained in the enjoyment of making music and looking at the bass as a piece of functional art. If the bass is great and I buy it at the right time, I might actually make a bit of money selling it used.

Watch the forums here for trends in what makes are hot. I'm no expert but I'd say the overall "feel" of the production bass market changes around every five years. In 2006 I remember German Warwicks were in vogue, and now it's hard to get anything for them on the used market. Right now Rickenbackers are really hot, for example, but who knows if they will still have a high demand in 2015. Keep this kind of thing in mind if you want to maximize how far your $2k will get you.

Warning: IANABMA (I am not a bass market analyst).

11. wait until you start looking at DB prices :eek:

No, 2K for a BG is reasonable if you have the means, but at your age I wouldn't worry about snagging something like that yet. Plenty of good stuff available for a lot less than that, no worries ;)

12. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    For a Fodera or the like, no. For an SX or Squier, yes. :bag:

13. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    My main bass ran about 2K new,.. but I didn't buy it new, so.... No :)

14. digitalmoney

digitalmoney

Nov 13, 2011
    Appleton WI
    Buy 2 awesome used 1000 dollar basses

15. Hell, do you know how many used Ibanez Soundgears I could get? I love those basses..I'd stock up on a few for $2k!!

16. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Don't sweat it. $300 now buys an infinitely better bass than when I was 17.

17. big +1

18. My wife says yes, but I think it depends on your situation. If you make your living playing bass, then I think it would be justified to have something that looks and sounds professional, and is reliable from a company with a good reputation, which could cost you upwards of that amount. If you are closet rock star jamming in your basement it would better to get a decent bass in the $500-750 range that is well set up and comfortable to play. To each his own, but coming from someone that plays at church and around town on a weekly basis I personally wouldn't ever spend that much on an instrument. I did however spend $1250 on a vintage (1973), and slightly rare, Gibson acoustic guitar, and that is my absolute upper limit. Acoustic guitars only get better with age, and I play more of it than I do my bass, so it was worth it to me.

19. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ugh, +10,000. And insurance adds up.

20. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Overall I'd say yes, 2k is a lot. Theres tons of excellent basses gettable forwell under 1k. But if you can easily afford it and the 2k bass has the magick none othes have for you for whatever reason, then sure buy the expensive 2k one.