Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you think Mackie has their act back together?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Lync, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Loud pumped some money back into them...Ampeg seems to be healthy and I have a recent Mackie SRM450V2 (black) that has been great for a few years.

I just bought a DL1608 and love it...I want to get a pair of active 12's for out front and I see Mackie has these:

http://www.mackie.com/products/srm-series-loudspeakers/?gclid=CPG2sJH2gL0CFaVQOgodMk0AVw

Wood casing and pretty light with some decent features. Can they hang with QSC, JBL, or the new Yamahas? What do you say bass/sound engineer brothers and sisters?

[​IMG]

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I for one don't trust them as far as I can throw them... Mackie seems to be delivering feature set superiority at a price point. IME that doesn't generally translate to quality at a price point... I do not dig component failure. My money has gone Presonus SL, JBL PRX and QSC K series.

I'm about to redo my sub package. Mackie isn't on the list.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. mackie HD series are great...love them. i have been using them in my band for a few years now and have never had a problem with them...

the cheaper stuff im not 100% about...they sound ok...i just don't know how they will hold up. the SRM450v2's have been great. but that is about it...

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I think these are a replacement for the HD series. I am looking at the new EV 12's also.

6. nope....not the case...these are in addition to the SRM series...to compete better in line with the K series...

7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Ahh-I see that...they have several different lines now. Once in a while, the HD's can be found at a good price B stock. I'll keep a look out for them.

8. the HD's are great...just heavy!

9. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I hope so...their new boxes (like these SRM's) look very professional, if they get the quality issues of the last few years fixed they could be a real player again.

10. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    FYI, I actually heard the new SRM boxes and subs at a music store today, I was pretty impressed at moderate volume levels. Didn't get a chance to crank them up really, as the demo room was really small. Again, hoping service/reliability doesn't become and issue. More relevant players in the MI sound reinforcement market is always good.