Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you use straplocks???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Just wondering if strap locks are essential for giging or if you can get by with out them or not cuz my first gigs are coming up and I am wondering if iI need them

2. The first time I paid more than $250 for a bass, I invested in straplocks. I watched a fellow bass student's Zon (yeah, momma spoiled him) hit the floor. :eek:

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've got a planet waves locking strap - duno if that ocunts.

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I've seen too many basses fall to not use them. They're only about $15, and it's money well spent.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    15 basses and 15 sets of straplocks with straps! Every bass has it's own strap and the straps stay on the basses. Hell I get nervous if a strap peg get's loose!

6. I've had my bass almost hit the floor five times and I've luckily caught him evey single time... I want to get strap locks, I'm also waiting to get a better strap...lol I would have to agree expecially if your one of those players that is very active on stage, nevertheless $15-$20 or the price of repairs ultimately your choice,... but I would assume it's a no-brainer... :bassist:
    By no means insulting anyone... Just love your bass!

7. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    I use them but I had a hell of a time trying to get them to fit my Ibanez. The standard screws were too narrow for the pre-drilled hole so I had to re-drill the holes in the metal components and use bigger screws. That still wasn't enough so I ended up using the old matchstick and woodglue trick. Thankfully my Warwick Thumb came with straploks so I didn't need to mess with it. I would never go on stage without them now.

I remember back in the 90s when I couldn't afford straploks...me and my bandmates used to use the rubber rings from the tops of Grolsch beer bottle tops to keep our straps on the pegs! :D

8. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    I recently narrowed my collection down to one bass (well, I've still got my "piece of stuff" beginner bass, but I never play it...), but I've installed Straploks on every single bass I've owned for two reasons:

1. I use (well, used) the same strap for all of my basses.
    2. I don't want my bass to go diving into the ground.

It's seriously the best $15 you can spend modifying your bass. Safety first!

9. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I just use the plastic Dunlop ones. They're only 89 cents or something, and they're easy to put on your bass.

Graeme

10. Schallers all the way. I love those locks, and the only bass I have that doesnt have redonculously huge strap buttons or strap locks is the only one that's fallen.

11. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I've been playing 1-4 times/mo for 26 years. Have never used straplocks. Have never had a bass hit the floor or come loose from my straps.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When my Godin was my main bass i did bc its got a short, singlecut upper horn.

13. I believe it's complete and utter foolishness to NOT have straplocks on your instruments. I can not understand not taking the extra precaution to prevent a completely preventable accident. From my MIJ beater to my 59 LP- everything has straplocks.

That being said, I know of people that regularly play out with $150,000 instruments that use rubber washers off Grolsch bottles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. thats cute, i like that beer too

use schaller straplocks thoug, had a 70's ric and a cheap strap once. Boom. now use good strasps too. thick ones, with stitching reinforcing the opening the strap button goes through so it won't rip. found that dunlops are too small to work wiith the thicker straps, only schallers do.

15. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    "Do you use straplocks?"

That's like asking, "Do you transport your bass in a case?"

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I once had a '66 ES 335 head headstock-first toward the floor, courtesy of a set of Schallers. Next day I was a the store buying Dunlops, every instrument from that day forward has a set of those, and it's own strap that never leaves the instrument.

The Schallers have what I consider a serious design flaw: the nut that holds the mechanisim on the strap can come loose if you are not CONSTANTLY paying attention to it. The Dunlops go on with a heavy C-clip that won't come off unless you MAKE it come off.

I've never had trouble getting a set of Dunlops on any strap, and I've used some pretty thick ones.

17. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Just like I check to make sure my strings are in tune, I make sure all the straplocks are tight. It's not that big of a deal. Loc-Tite would be an easy fix.

I feel much more confident with the Schallers than the Dunlops. We've all had our "experiences", and mine was watching my Warwick Streamer Stage 1 nearly slamming down on concrete, because the Dunlop had worn out (pretty common issue with these, apparently.) I like the ease of use with the Dunlops, but it scares me to think that little ball bearings and springs are keeping my bass up.

To each their own, but there is only one choice when it comes to having straplocks or not.

18. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Yes, my basses came with them. And well if they didn't I'd probably install some. Especially now after having had them for awhile.

Troll

19. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Are there any alternatives to installing Schaller or Dunlop straplocks on a bass? I've heard stories of them widening out the strap button hole and coming loose, and I don't really want that to happen to my basses, even if it is an easy fix.

Does anyone know of any straplocks or large strapbuttons that don't cause the strap to stick out farther than it would on a normal strap button?

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Been gigging on guitar and/or bass since 1980, using Dunlops that entire time...never had a Dunlop fail, EVER. A drop of 3-In-1 Oil about once a year in the strap mechanisim, and the ball bearings will never fail.