1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dodgy Amp-Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hairy_walnut, May 20, 2012.

1. hairy_walnut

hairy_walnut

May 20, 2012
    Rep. Ireland
    Hey chaps.
    First time poster here.
    Ive got a Ashdown electric blue 15-180 combo. The last while if i move the volume from about midway the sound just cuts and it sounds like farts ha. Any ideas what the problem could be? :bawl:Thanks.

2. It's stuffed, set it on fire.

The help with dodgy amp shift went home. You got the dodgy help shift on now. Free bump.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Power amp off. Rotate the problematic volume control back and forth rapidly for about 30 seconds. Leave it turned "down." Power amp on. Test. If problem persists, repeat rotation regime again, or even thrice.

If the problem is diminished, obtain some "control cleaner" from an electronics shop and follow the directions.

Otherwise, you may have a bad pre-amp tube—assuming this unit has tubes. If replacing the tube makes no difference, you will need to take the amp to a qualified technician.

4. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    I have an old yamaha practice amp that does that, I found a fuse had crapped out and been replaced with a gum wrapper. Maybe you've got a damaged fuse?

5. +1 This

This happens to volume pots a lot. If you move the pot back-n-forth over the "scratchy" parts, it should clear up.

6. hairy_walnut

hairy_walnut

May 20, 2012
    Rep. Ireland
    Thanks will try this. :)