Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anybody else ever...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eyescream, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    ...get to a point in which they just crave silence?

I am at that point, and relief is nowhere in sight. I should go for a drive, but I'm afraid that if I do I'll stop to get cigarettes and that'll be that for this round of quitting.

2. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Tinnitus ensures I will never have another moment of silence again. :meh:

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yes.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Try working at Guitar Center sometime. It got to a point that I would go home and not listen to music at all. It was spoiling my relationship with music, so I quit. Now I can enjoy a healthy silence without having to worry that my job caused my need for it.

5. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    At the end of this past school year I was wanting nothing but silence. It came to a point where I would even skip my orchestra class. When I got home I would just go to my room and sit with no music on...

Luckily I got out of that... but I have this feeling it may happen again

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I did that a couple times, and you're right. It's good to go walk in the dead of winter. When you do it at a time like you described, maybe with a little snow on the ground, it really does feel dead.

Blessed quiet.

7. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I always enjoyed walking to and from school in Idaho for this very reason. Nothing like a few miles of complete silence, aside from birds and other animals, to clear your head. Now I live in Cali and you have to go a lot further to find a decent spot without a bunch of other people around.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im a hard rock guy for the most part but every day after work when I was working at GC Id get into my car and put on some jazz.

Woulda blown my head off otherwise.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    One of the reasons I chose to live near the beach is because peace and quiet are a short walk away. Sure the ocean makes some noise, but it's a beautiful noise.

Josh has the right idea. Nature is the answer!

10. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i agree , nature hikes have a way of making everything alright ...especially after a rather loud week of gigs and practice .

i walk for miles in the woods around my house , there's a real nice abandoned rock quarry my wife and i walk to every weekend . big oak trees , really nice sunsets ...
    nice , quiet environment { except for the ocasional jet overhead }.

:cool:

11. Very often, I need to move to somewhere with woods very close...