1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone mod modern solid state amps?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by FenderBassBass, Jul 31, 2012.

1. I have a carvin bx500 head that I really like. I can always get a good tone out of it whether I'm using my upright or electric its really a pretty good doubling amp.

I have two things I'd like done to it, first and more easily, I'd like to add a pre/post switch to the direct out. It seems weird that the amp wouldn't have this feature, but it doesn't.

Second since I'm using the dpa 4099b mic for upright I have to bring an extra preamp that can supply phantom power to the mic. It would be amazing if there were a way to put a combo 1/4" / XLR jack on the front of the amp and build in the phantom power supply with a switch to turn it off.

There's plenty of physical room inside the amp so I guess its just a matter of if it will work from an engineering standpoint. Does anyone know of someone who could take this on? I'm in michigan but I could mail the amp out I suppose if there were someone who could do it.

Thanks,
    Jon

PS Carvin said they don't do that kind of stuff themselves, but they sent me schematics if I found someone that would.

2. Hi.

Well...

Parts for both mods can usually be found on the junk parts drawer, or even in spares drawer for the luckier ones ;).

Both mods are usually relatively easy to perform.

Both mods require complete stripdown of the amp.

IMLE it'd take about 2 hours to do each mod, from start to finish, 2-3h for both.

Multiply that with the shop-fee, and the answer to Your questin becomes pretty clear. If You have to outsource the work that is. People do all sorts of mods to SS amps for themselves, but rarely for others.

Regards
    Sam

3. I'd possibly be able to do it, which means I probably shouldn't if you know what I mean. The thing which gives me pause is the fact that its basically a computer board in there with micro resisters etc... not exactly for the faint of heart.

Where do people get their amps repaired??