1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does the love for SX's extend to Douglas and Brice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kesslari, Jul 22, 2008.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I see a lot of love for SX's here.
    When I go to the rondo site, I see SX's, but also some non-fender shapes (Douglas and Brice brands).

Are they included in the "wow, these are awesome for the price" goodness that seems to be SX?

2. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I really like my Douglas fretless six.

3. +1

4. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
  5. oyobass

oyobass

Feb 20, 2008
    Spanaway, WA
    I got one of these for $ 109.95. Great bass, killer sound, ultra smooth playability,(after a little set-up work).

http://www.rondomusic.com/web846quilt.html

The price has since risen to $129.95. Still lower than the $179.95 they usually go for. It would still have been a incredible deal at $279.95!

oyo

6. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I have a SX P-bass, a Douglas WEB 6-string (quilted green- very nice), and a Brice 8-string. All three basses bring something different to the table, but they all feel very solid and sound great. The Brice is a step higher in price (and dare I say quality) than the Douglas six-string and my SX P-bass, but I'll tell you- you'd be hard pressed to find a better value for the money.

7. DZello

DZello

Sep 28, 2007
    Montréal, Québec
    I really love my Douglas WEB825 with a natural finish. It's very well made for the price and solid. The neck is great and the pickups sound good! What else can you ask for 159$ (+66$ for shipping)? There's no new bass that compare to this one in this price range.

attachment.jpg

8. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Yes. Rondo seems to have a tiered bass line (haha) that goes (from lowest to highest): SX, Douglas, Brice.

I have some of each, and yes price and quality increased from the bottom to the top. My SXes are all fenderesque and were passive (when I bought them) but if you want active and neckthru and six strings, you will have to move up at least to Douglas.

IMO, the SXes are just a heck of a deal. Douglases are nicer, and the only Brice I have now (used to have an HXB-406) is my Z6 that I got as a b-stock. I am still in awe of what I got for my $249. But Even at the regular price of $469 (or something like it) I believe that you get quite a nice hunk of bass.

I have only gotten rid of one of my Rondo basses (the HXB) and then only because I really didn't need TWO sixers (some might say I have no business with more than 5 strings... if you heard me play, you'd understand) but I have never seen a bass at the SAME or lower price of than what I paid that had the same quality of ANY of my Rondo basses :cool:.

9. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I have a Dougless 6er (fretted) and I was able to get most of the strings pretty low with some tweaking. It sounds fine, but I have a couple of complaints:

1.The high F is about half the volume of the other strings (tried changing strings)
    2.The action is as low as it will go and it is still too high (on the treble side)

FWIW, the pickup height is adjusted fine and the F sounds nice and even when not plugged in. Neck adjustment is set flat.

Any ideas? Pickups? Wood?

IMO it is not worth replacing the Pickups and pre, but I am willing to hear your opinion.

10. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    A question and a comment:

1. How are you tuned? It obviously isn't BEADGC.

2. If you've lowered the saddle as far as you can and the action is still too low, the most common fix is a shim in the neck. It this a bolt-on?

11. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    I've got a Brice HXB 405 fretless.

Is there a Brice Club?

12. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    The c is above f(on the keyboard).Or maybe he is tuned down to A(f on the g string).

13. yes, i love my brice 406
    :bassist:

14. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have one of their violin "Beatle" basses, bought my daughter one also. Plays better than my '65 Hofner. Well worth the $149

15. roschmbo

roschmbo

Dec 13, 2008
    Santa brought me a Douglas 5er fretless for Christmas. I love it.

16. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    My Douglas 825 is my "go to" bass and I love it. I tuned it into a lined fretless shortly after I bought it and now I'm in the process of converting it from active to passive. I've been working on it all weekend and will post some pics tomorrow.

The before pic is exactly like the one already posted.

17. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    I still love my Brice V2 5 FL

18. z6e9n

z6e9n

Feb 10, 2008
    Indiana
    I had a Brice 406. http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb40635.html. I found the active electronics a little noisy and a bit sterile. The construction was ok. Though, if you are going to buy a bass from Rondo you should factor in fret leveling as the necks can be hit or miss. Keep in mind I prefer passive basses and I gig my SX PJ quite often. It is the only Rondo bass I have owned that didn't need fret work. If you want a nice old school tone get one those and slap some flats on it. Just my 2 cents.

19. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL

Bstringkyle has started The Official Brice Club.

Throw in a pic and hit him up for a number!!

Randy

20. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021