1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does the Roger Waters Precision represent a real step up in quality over a MIM P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kohntarkosz, Nov 2, 2013.

1. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Oct 29, 2013
    Edinburgh - Scotland
    Sorry for the convoluted thread title. I am a Pink Floyd fan, so naturally the Roger Waters P bass has grabbed my attention. Whilst I am aware of the fact that it isn't really an accurate replica of Roger's own battered P bass, the spec is still quite good, on paper.

Here in the UK these retail for about £630. A stock MIM P bass (solid colour, not Sunburst) costs around £480. Is the extra £150 justified? Fender claim that the RW bass comes with a Seymour Duncan Basslines SPB-3 pickup, though it doesn't appear to have the usual 'BASSLINES' pickup cover. It also has a brass nut, though I'm sure open strings were discouraged when I used to receive lessons... so I don't really think it will add too much.

I have read that the bass has the same neck as the 50s Classic P bass, which is a neck I personally found comfortable and easy to play.

Any thoughts anybody?

2. If it were my choice, and it isn't, I would purchase the less expensive P bass and use the money saved to put a nice vintage sounding pickup in it. (fralin, Lollar, SD antiquity) for example

3. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Oct 29, 2013
    Edinburgh - Scotland
    I prefer the Dimarzio Model P over a vintage-voiced pickup, but I understand your suggestion.

4. Yes they sound great too!

5. Since it already comes with a pickup upgrade and a brass nut, it may be worth the extra coin. The decision is yours to make

6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    The SD “BASSLINES” insignia is shown on Fender’s U.S. marketing materials for this instrument — though you might have to zoom in a bit to see it.

I played a Waters model after I had already purchased a ‘50s Classic P, and had no regrets. But they’re both very nice instruments.

7. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Both are MIM basses, alder, poly finish. Main differences: Nut and pickups. Difference in price $ 300.. I would buy the standard MIM , put the SPB-3 , basically same bass and $240 cheaper. Yeah it wont look like RW bass but who cares, the Fender signature does not looks liek Roger's bass neither.

8. almost human

almost human

Sep 30, 2010
    NYC
    Go for the standard one. Use the extra $$$ to change pickups if you decide it's necessary.
    Buy a Dark Side of The Moon prism sticker with some of the leftover money, and slap it on the pickguard.

Nikol4ik likes this.
  9. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Oct 29, 2013
    Edinburgh - Scotland
    That suggestion actually sounds quite cool.

10. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    It's not "modded stock MIM P". Its way better than this.

Taha-b likes this.
  11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The Model P is pretty different sounding from the 1/4 Pounder. It's got a scooped sound to it vs the mid bump of the Model P. Also, SD did away with the Basslines name which may be why you don't see the logo on the cover.

Anyways, I'd skip the RW and go for the standard. I've played a few RW's and wasn't all that impressed with them.

12. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Huh? There's nothing wrong with playing an open string. I'll bet Mr. Waters does it all the time.

Taha-b likes this.
  13. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I didn't understand that comment either. I usually prefer to play open strings when possible.

14. Xenos

Xenos

Nov 2, 2013
    Only reason I would buy it over the MiM P is the fact it's Roger Waters. I'm a HUGE Floyd fan (the first bassline I ever learned was Money, followed by the rest of the Dark Side of the Moon album), so having that would be EPIC SWEET (much like having a Gilmour Strat would just be ACE).

Still, my MiM P has yet to let me down. Yes, I have made ONE MODIFICATION (in addition to the one the fella before me made-he replaced the pickguard with a pearl pickguard). I put, what MF was calling at the time, "Fender '61 Reissue P-Bass Pickups." Now it seems they're '62 Reissue, but whatever-seems to have the exact same specs.

I'd say go that path. I love the tone my bass gets. It's amazing. It's great for any style of music. It plays like a dream.

It was worth every penny of the less than $250 it cost.

Still, the choice is your'n.

Another upshot of the stock P, COLOR choice. Don't get me wrong, black is nice-but when it comes down to it, I've always been a fan of Midnight Wine.

As to the open string comment, Money in particular uses the hell out of 'em, least the way I learned it playing along with the record-and lots of other good basslines do as well (My Friend of Misery, Castle Walls, Man in the Wilderness, lots of others). That brass nut'd give a brighter sound, sure enough. My main studio lead guitar (Vox Bulldog) has a brass nut, very bright, crisp sound.

But again, the choice is ultimately your'n. I'd say save the coin if you're short on fundage, sink it into a good Hardshell case-trust me-they're worth their weight in GOLD when it comes to that one moment were NOT having one would mean NOT having an instrument anymore (true story-my da came to pick me up years ago from band rehearsal at a mate's house, he thought I put my axe in the trunk, I thought HE did-backed over the thing. No joke. Backed clean over it. But the case did it's job-the guitar was unscathed-case was totalled. Get the hardshell case).

MiM Stock P, do any mods you wan on it yourself, get it in YOUR COLOR, get a DiMarzio pickup if you don't want the '62 Reissues (I cannot stress enough how nice they sound), and get a hardshell case.

But, as I've said many times already, choice is ultimately your'n.

15. I read somewhere that double bass players tried to avoid open string playing, but I posed that question over in the DB forum and only a few had learned that way. Supposedly, stringed instruments have a different sound open string vs "fretted"; I have a violin and that's true. But then again, everything I play on it sounds like a cat in a wringer.

16. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    i feel like we're starting to get into de-railing territory, but I get the comment. In general, playing a note (say D) fretted on the E string, will sound fatter, and deeper than the open D string. For reggae (what I predominantly play), the former quality is quite desirable, so I tend to avoid open strings whenever I'm playing that stuff

17. I was taught to avoid open strings when I received lessons. I learned here on TB how crazy that is and when I allowed myself to play open strings it opened a whole new world.

As for the bass I too say get the MIM STD and take it from there.

18. Open string notes and fretted notes sound different. There's no right or wrong - if you want the open string sound the go for it. Sometimes you don't and so you go for a fretted note.

It's all about making a choice.

Money sounds better IMHO with open strings. Though I'm not a fan of brass nuts. That's too much contrast IMHO.

Davo

19. I do the open string on Money also.

If the RWaters model quality is anything like the '50s Classic P, it is a notch above standard MIM fare. I believe there's an actual reason for it costing more. ;)