1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this exist?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ffutterman, Oct 1, 2010.

1. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I'm still new to things, so I know a good bit about the bass itself but not much about amps or effects.

Is there a pedal that can detect a note being played and convert it to the MIDI sound of a different instrument? I figure that something like that could work simply enough as long as you play 1 note at a time (slowly) and don't do any fancy stuff (mutes, slapping, etc.)

2. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Yes. I think Roland makes a midi system.

3. Mr.Hat

Mr.Hat

Sep 18, 2010
  4. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I used to be very interested in this type of stuff but, it just seems like a really round about way to make your bass sound like other instruments when it would be just as easy to use that instrument. My interest was mostly for bass synth stuff but in order to get convincing tones you need to get some pricey equipment. I said screw it and bought a midi keyboard and right now I use software, but eventually ill upgrade.

5. 95svtcobra

95svtcobra

Sep 20, 2007
    Windham, NH
    While there are combined boxes you should view it as two separate parts

1. Convert string signal to a midi note - usually with pitch to midi converter or something unusual like an old Peavy Cyberbass

2. Use this midi signal to drive a tone box of some type

The V-Bass doesn't do a very good job without the midi pickup installed on the bass IIRC. Additionally there isn't a midi out on the V-Bass (the newer one has one) so you have to use any onboard sounds The Yamaha G50 has a mono in for this purpose, but it's a rack unit without tones.

In any case higher register, clean technique, and single not passages will be required to make midi bass work.

Depending on the tones you want, a synth pedal is probably a better idea. If you're looking for horns or strings...well...now things get a bit more difficult.

6. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021