Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Donald 'Duck' Dunn

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by troll, Nov 9, 2004.

1. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    So I caught much of Blues Brothers again late last night... and while I've noted it before, I guess I just never really paid attention like I did last night.

Holy COW them basslines rock. That tone, that feel, those walking lines and little accents, all flawless. Makes me want to get a pbass and learn it all just to do it :)

That is undeniable groove. Anyone have any neat trivia or info about Duck and his career or gear they'd like to share or discuss? :)

Troll

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If possible, buy/borrow the Complete Monterey Pop DVD set.

Disc 2 is the Otis Redding set from Monterey...Duck is workin' it!

3. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    As you liked “The Blues Brothers” movie, check out “The Complete Stax-Volt Singles 1959-1968”http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002IQU/102-8691049-5255322?v=glance

The movie just scratches the surface of the awesome talent of Steve Cropper (guitar) and Duck Dunn (bass). These guys, along with Booker T. Jones (keyboard) and Al Jackson (drums) were collectively Booker T. and MGs: the Stax/Volt house band, and a bona fide band with hits in their own right, knew how to groove!

Their genius is all in the subtleties. The songs sound simple....until you try to play them and realize the degree of musicianship that's necessary to pull them off.

4. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    You know, that seems like an amazing collection. And even being as young and not so much into old r&b/soul music, I recognize a lot of those tracks (listening to the samples provided.

That might just be worth picking up :) Appears to be a great collection to add to my own personal collection.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Troll

5. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    He has one of the best lines in the movie. I think Cropper asks what key for Rawhide, and Duck says "A's a good country key". Gets me everytime

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    He was one of my earliest bass heroes, to this day I still consider him one of the best bassists of all time.

7. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Yeah! Did the same thing!
    Were home sick last week and finally took the time to watch Blues Bros. for the fist time. Although i had fever caused by some kind of bacillus. I could see it rise due to the "bassillus" playing of Duck. Great playing!
    Even my girlfriend said -That´s a nice bassline, we must get the soundtrack. :eek:
    And she couldn´t hear the bass before she met me ;)

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Same here :bassist:

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Duck Dunn & the rest of the M.G.'s are the backing band for a few different groups on the new Eric Clapton Crossroads DVD......along with a lot other great bassist :bassist:

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Anything from Stax or Booker T & the MGs will put a smile on your face! ; )

11. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Duck is the MANNNN!!!!!

I strongly reccomend the book "what duck done" and any blues recording of his because they are all so groovy!!!

12. LittleJaco

LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    duck is amazing.
    My brother is obsessed with the blues brothers, cause he is obsessed with cars. I don't mind watching the movie cause the music just grooves like it can't stop. probabably the best song in the movie is minnie the moocher, that just kicks ass. also, i think bootsy shows up in the scene with james brown.

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Duck Dunn is one reason I pickup the Bass.

14. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    while touring through Memphis recently we stopped at the Stax museum. You must go there if you are ever in the Memphis area. I found a really cool Booker T & the MG's CD called "McLemore Avenue" (name of the street where Stax was located) and it is Abbey Road covered in its entirety. We are currently using it as our preshow music.

15. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I recently joined a Blues Brothers influenced tribute band, The Blues Broads playing a lot of Duck's lines... Amazing groove and live energy! The guy just has it down... Also, one of the few folks who can sport a 'fro anymore!

-robert

16. Duck is awesome. One of the best shows I've ever seen was Neil Young backed by Booker T and The MG's. Tremendous.

I've also heard most their version of Abbey Road - so tasty.

17. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    Big, big Duck fan here. Very understated but he can hold things together. I hear he no longer plays a Fender but rather a Lakeland

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    He has a signature model by Lakland. It's still a P-bass though. :cool:

19. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Now that is a one player that a lot of younger musicians could learn from. A lot of younger guys who are trying to memorize flashy solos could get a lot out of learning Duck Dunn's lines. Killer tone, amazing feel and an impeccable sense of the perfect bass hook.

20. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Well he put Trevor Dunn here so I love him!!