1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

dot inlays?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pie_man_25, May 13, 2011.

1. I'm nearing completion of one of my cigar box ukes. This one is going to be quite different though - solid quartersawn spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, solid one-piece mahogany neck, and I'm making a fretboard and bridge out of some flame maple I got at the lumberyard. I'm hoping this one will be much more than simple "folk art".

I want to make some simple dot inlays out of the walnut that I have, but I have no idea how to make them. Also, if you have any aesthetic ideas, feel free to contribute.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    For the neck, plug cutter to make the dots, and a Forstner bit to drill the hole.

For side of neck, drill a hole in a piece of steel. cut a strip a little bigger than the hole and force it through the hole to make a fine dowel.

Drill a hole on the side of the neck and plug with piece of this dowel.

3. I imagine the plug cutter would be a drill attachment?

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Yes. There's are pictures of one in the last couple of pages of the build thread in my sig.