1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Double Bass and Clarinet duo

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by DirtPoorRobins, Aug 26, 2007.

1. DirtPoorRobins

DirtPoorRobins

Apr 18, 2005
    VA
    Does anyone have any recomendations for pieces for double bass clarinet and piano accompianment? I'm looking for something to learn in about 2.5 months. Thanks.

-Jordan

2. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Bottesini - Duet for Clarinet, String Bass and Piano

Bottesini - Gran Duo Concertante for String Bass and Clarinet (Originally Violin) and Orchestra/Piano - Make sure you find the transposed edition for clarinet.

Hindemith - Duet for Clarinet and Cello (or Bass)

Gould - Benny's Gig for String Bass and Clarinet

The Gould is really jazzy and fun, the Hindemith is very easy but non tonal. The Bottesini's are very difficult.

3. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    I'll bet there is some Bartok in suitable arrangement as well.
    I had to do a double-take with your post where it says "double bass clarinet", so I was envisioning you know, the mighty flatuelent paperclip contra clarinet doing some nice sensitive chamber music. :)

4. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    My girlfriend is a clarinetist, here are some pieces we've played that were written for these two instruments:

Benny's Gig by Morton Gould
    Duos by William Sydeman
    Folk Song and Dance by Blogo Simenoiv
    Laps by Pascal Dusapin
    Soli op. 148 by Elisabeth LUTYENS
    Treadmill by Gary Noland
    Duo by Hindemith
    Gran Duo's by Bottesini

hope that helps.

5. BassMomof2

BassMomof2

May 15, 2007
    When my son was in the 8th grade he signed up for State Solo & Ensemble with his buddy who was planning to play the piano with him. Then they discovered that his buddy couldn't play piano for the duet because it wouldn't be considered a duet....but the friend was also a clarinet player. So they worked up Benny's Gig by Morton Gould.
    It was not easy for these two young guys....but they did a fantastic job on this really fun musci!
    I think it was breaking some S&E rules to use jazz....but they played it well enough to bring a smile to the judges face and earn "I" marks!
    Two thumbs up from me for this piece!