Double Bass Height and Additions?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Alex8, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Alex8

Alex8

Jul 20, 2019
    Soon I will be trying to learn to play the double bass on an old 3/4 one my school has(although there are no instructors or people I can ask questions of). I'm about six feet tall and I read that the nut should be about eyebrow level with me, however it's at least a foot lower than that. The endpin is a 1 inch, non-adjustable metal spike, and friction fit in the bottom. I don't plan on becoming a master, but I don't want to hinder myself or or cause unecessary discomfort. Any suggestions on what to do? Sitting? Is it alright as is? Do I need an endpin stop?

2. A foot lower? Really?

3. jheise

jheise

Aug 11, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi Alex8,

my suggestion: get the bass fixed. You need an endpin that is height-adjustable.
    To find the correct height for the bass in relation to your body - it's not relevant if you want to sit or stand - the endpin needs to be adjustable in height. Also, the rule of thumb "nut corresponding to eyebrow" might give you a start. But in my experience, it's more complicated than that so you need an adjustable endpin to do all the experiments.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    @jheise is correct above. In the meantime, if you were to sit on a 24" stool, the "endpin all the way in" setting you are currently stuck at might work. I'm a little over 6'1" and I sit this way with my endpin al the way in.

5. Alex8

Alex8

Jul 20, 2019
    Thank you all for the advice! I'll look for a place to replace the endpin and try a stool.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021