Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Double Bass Rental Prices

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by allTimeFavorite, Jan 12, 2006.

1. allTimeFavorite

allTimeFavorite

Dec 2, 2005
    Iowa
    I have chacked into the availability of lessons, now I am looking for a bass. Initially, I would like to rent. The only place in town (Des Moines, IA) that I have found that rents basses charges $100 per month. Also, the first 2 years of rental can be applied to the purchase of any bass in the shop. Does that sound like an average rate/ arrangement?

Thanks,
    Randle

2. That's $1200 per year, a little steep. There's a place in Lincoln, NE that rents them for $400-500 a year (only first year's rental cost can be applied to purchase of the bass though). I think KC Strings in KC has a similar cost/plan.

3. allTimeFavorite

allTimeFavorite

Dec 2, 2005
    Iowa
    It seems a little steep to me also. That's why I was asking. I was thinking more in teh $50 per month range. I hadn't thought about checking in Licnoln or KC. All things being equal, I would prefer to rent from somewhere closer to home. However, a $600 difference is worth a 3 hour road trip.

Randle

4. sejarus

sejarus

May 8, 2002
    Milwaukee
    I rented a Shen laminated bass for $60/month in Chicagoland over the summer. $100/month does sound pretty steep.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I would also think that the value of the instrument would come into play here. If it's a $1,400 instrument or a $6,000 instrument I would think the price would be different. I cannot rent a luxury car for the same price as an economy one so why should basses be any different.

6. allTimeFavorite

allTimeFavorite

Dec 2, 2005
    Iowa
    True. I do not know the price of the rental bass, but I was told that is all laminate (plywood) construction.

7. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I remember a few months ago an ad here at TB about a shop that was rents basses and ship them to you. I also think they applied the rental cost to purchase. Anyone remember? Might be worthwhile to do a search of some of these bass shops that ship basses. $100 a month sounds like a lot.

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    $60 or 65/mo in the northwest with 100% of 1st year to any bass purchase. if you purchase, it doesn't really matter, because you get your money back. If not, it sounds steep.

9. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    An English Bass that I have was also used in London for awhile when visiting Orchestras were in need of a Bass. The rental price in U$D was close to $300. a day. I was recently asked to quote 2 Basses for rent to a visiting ensemble with two Bassists. All I had available was my 7/8 Strelau/Shen 800 and my 5-string Hungarian Italian Model that I would even consider renting. I quoted a price of $400. for both Basses for two days with me present at the Concert to retrieve them at the end. I also requested that my Deductable be covered if any damage occured if my Insurance had to cover damages if not returned in as-loaned condition. These Two Basses are in the 10-20k Range and not your rental Chinese $700 ebay special. The English Bass is in a different Price world all together.

Also, this same group was qouted by a local music store for 2 Basses a sum of Less than $300. for 4 months use insured and they only need it for two days.

So $300./4-months or $400./2 days for real Basses.. Close call huh?.. don't you think?..lol

10. This is an old forum, but alltimefavorite, do you recall the name of the place that rents basses in Des Moines? I'm currently looking to rent. Thanks for the help.