1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Double Precision PUs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pbgonecrazy99, May 31, 2011.

1. So this summer, I plan on getting to making the rest of the basses I have laying around. I have a lot of pu set ups, except for double precision. Anyone know if it would have a decent sound?

2. kaiuk

kaiuk

Mar 3, 2011
    ive seen it done for metal. Apparently,it kind of sounds like a jazz bass with P's so kinda that more even smooth tone with a P feel if that makes sense

3. Are there any specific precision pu's designed for bridge position? Or should I just grab some SD quarters and throw em in poth positions?

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it looks cool, like giant tires on a truck or something, but the sound never did it for me.

both pickups on is like a P/J or a jazz but cloudier, and the back P by itself is OK, but not very strong.

5. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    You'd want a hotter P pickup toward the bridge and regular output P pickup in the standard position. Two Q/P sound like a recipe for mud.

6. My fender Precision Elite II, with the double P pu setup, sounds like an enourmous growling beast. The neck-pu sounds like you would expect from a precision neck-pu, the bridge-pu obviously sounds 'thinner' but adds a real nice 'growl' to my sound. They have seperate volume control. It runs on 9V though!

7. I am not too familiar with outputs and such in pickups (usually just throw in whatever). Could you point me in the right direction of what I should be looking at in pickup selection?

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It works really well. The two pickups balanced well and the bridge pickup is fatter and smoother than a Jazz.

I had a '74 P bass I did this to. Later I converted it to an 8-string.

mantaray.
    (yes, that was a P bass once, but not this neck)

If I were going to do it again I would reverse the P pickups.

PawleeP likes this.
  9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Basses with P bridge and neck sets can get excellent sounds. Theyve been standard pup setup for BC Richs american and import since the 1970's.

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Someone else who likes double Ps.

l.

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    and reversed at that!

12. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I would do something like in that Leland Sklar photo, add a couple of switches (I cannot tell if he has any) to switch from series to parallel and keep it passive...

13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I have a BB400 that I am converting to a Lee Sklar Tribute bass - I got the idea when I saw the reversed P.

I have added the second P pup, but it should be hotter. Maybe a SD SPB2? And then I will move the first one up towards the neck a bit more.

This makes perfect sense to me sonically. You get a deep bottom from the neck and a thick and clear but not trebly sound from the bridge pup. I did this on my old Hagstrom adding 2 mudbuckers, neck and bridge to 1 standard pup and it sounds fantastic.

Attached Files:

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I always loved Lee's tone from this bass.
    Reverse P-Pickups, in 60's Jazz position.
    Fender needs to to this bass?

15. I played a Warwick John Entwistle Buzzard LTD with double-p pickups, and it sounded MAGNIFICENT....no bass has ever sounded as good since.

PawleeP likes this.
  16. xoloder

xoloder

Aug 14, 2009
    San Leandro, CA.
    i modified a squier with the double p setup. it has duncan 1/4 pounders in both locations and it sounds heavy, punchy, and aggresive. even the bridge pickup by itself sounds great. i wired it with 500k volumes and a fender no load tone pot. it used to have a push/pull series/parallel switch on the tone pot. it was great, but series mode was so hot and heavy it was ridiculous and unnecessary. i highly recommend a dual p setup if you are curious. mine gives me an array of VERY wonderful and usable sounds.
    phonepics105.

17. Big John66

Big John66

Feb 12, 2008
    If you do the double-p thing ala Sklar, you have to have the "producer" switch included.

18. That is almost exactly what I am going for! Glad to know it is a good set up. Gonna get sum SB-3s and route some room and see how it goes.

19. BTW xoloder, how did you get a black precision pickguard to fit your squier? I once bought a black pickguard for mine, and didn't know it wouldn't fit until I tried it.