1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Doug Ferguson of Camel

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Isaiah Segura, Nov 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Isaiah Segura

Isaiah Segura

Nov 17, 2017
    I was wondering what type of gear is closest to sounding like Doug Ferguson of Camel? I know he uses a Fender Jazz, but thats about it. I love his tone and would love to get that kind of sound. Thanks!

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    If you do it now with regular gear one of the main things is probably to use a tight 15" cab so you have the punch and fullness although an ACME B2 would do it too. With my current setup, I'd do this:

Line 6 Helix using a clean bass head sim + 15" cab sim -> QSC 2402 -> ACME B2
    Using rounds would require rolling off the tone on your bass plus good right and left hand techniques.
    Doing it with flats would be easier as far as getting his tone especially with a Jazz bass.

When I saw them in the 70's(1976 or 1977) with Wishbone Ash on "There's The Rub" tour, it was an absolutely amazing experience. Not sure what he had but it was easily emulated with one of the rigs and basses I had at the time: an Acoustic 370 with a 301 cabinet and a Gibson Thunderbird. The "tightness" between Doug Ferguson and the drummer is one of the things that floored me. After Doug was out of Camel, "The Thrill is Gone" came on in my head even though the next bassist was technically "better", the "band" was not IMO. The cover band I was in at the time covered "Chord Change" and the local BEST non-top 40 band came to our show, listened, and all stood up and applauded.

Enjoy, have fun, and thanks for the reminder to review their CD's with Doug to relearn all of that great bass.

ImprecisionBass likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021