Downsizing into apartment - need amp advice!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by plamicus, Oct 25, 2011.

1. plamicus

plamicus

Apr 22, 2011
    Hi!

I'm going to be a ski instructor this season, and I've been given employee housing - sharing with other instructors. All the instructors are in one apartment building together- obviously I'm going to bring my bass(es) ( MM Stingray 5 and one of breedlove acoustic/ fender jazz / self built bass).

However, I may be a bit stuck for amp options. At the moment I have a GK 210 amp - however if I use this their is a good chance I'll be hated :( - since low frequencies don't care about obstacles such as walls :bag:. Furthermore, I don't actually know that I'll have that much space for an amp that size.

I'm doubtful I'll be gigging - since I don't see where any of the drummers would store their drums - but would like to jam with any other musicians there. Does anyone have any advice for small amps (or other clever ideas), that will be good enough to handle the low B and sound decent?

2. cracked_machine

cracked_machine

Jan 8, 2010
    Bristol
    honestly, flats and bass amps do not mix. You will be getting constant knocks on the door from irrate neighbours.

So what do you do if you want to practice? Simple, get a PC/laptop with an input jack on the soundcard, plug your bass into that, and use headphones. A cheap fuzz pedal will aid the sound greatly here. Plus it's easy to jam along to records.

Before you dismiss this "no amp" solution, bear in mind you can do this at 3am with no one the wiser. I recommend windows XP (Win7 can have some latency problems with the audio loopback)

3. hoshbrown41

hoshbrown41

Jun 19, 2009
    Not a bad idea. I've done this using an interface and garagebad and it works, but I'm personally not a fan.

Even though it's another 210, the Ampeg Micro VR is amazing - especially for its size. I've also played on their new BA110 and it's pretty decent as well.

4. +1 to the computer option. I use Garageband on my Mac or the Line6 Pod Farm software for quiet practice most of the time. It's quiet and it's very portable.

5. just saw this posting today, looks like it could fit the bill if you're not afraid of a little DIY or know someone who could do it, this one's easy and very reasonable in cost:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/1x8-diy-practice-cab-build-819277/

Not sure if putting this on a thick blanket or foam rubber on the floor would minimize coupling to your downstair's neighbor's ceiling, those more knowledgeable will hopefully shed some light there.

Also, +1 on the computer soundboard option, too, but at least w/this if you ever run into someone else who plays acoustic guitar you're set.

6. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Headphone amp + nice cans + mixable aux in is the best solution IMHO

A Korg Pandora or something like that can be great (has effects, drum patterns, metronomes etc...)

7. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    +1 , even a 15w amp on low volume is loud enough to be heard in the other apartments.

8. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    yeah, forget about moving ANY air except that little bit inside your ear canal #;>)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021