1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Downtuning to drop b, string advice?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by THRILLSEEKER, Oct 30, 2010.

1. THRILLSEEKER

THRILLSEEKER

Oct 16, 2009
    I play in drop B tuning (B f# b e) and I'm currently playing with a D'Addario 5 string set, (on a 4 string, just using the 4 fattest strings) 45 to 135. The only problem I'm having is that I'm getting too much fret buzz. I've set up my bass well and can't seem to eliminate it. Obviously this is happening because of such heavy gauge strings, so I'm thinking about switching to lighter strings. I am playing a Fender Jazz Geddy Lee (34" scale length). My biggest concern is losing tension. I haven't had a ton of experience messing around with different types of strings so I'm trying to figure out which would best do the job I need it to do.

Any suggestions?

Help would be much appreciated.

2. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Honestly I drop B a lot and I use a normal 110 set on my Sterling (Like Isis?). If you're getting fret buzz it may just be the action's too low and the larger strings are making too much contact. You can adjust action if you want and keep the gauge (shouldn't take much)

Otherwise, Ernie Ball makes these wierd gauge slinkies (can't remember what they are) with a fat E string and lighter strings otherwise; just be careful with your truss rod tension.

EDIT: Just checked Guitar Center and I can't find those strings anymore =( but again, try some 110's you really really don't need 135's for drop B and there shouldn't be any real rattling

EDIT again: http://www.guitarcenter.com/DR-Strings-Drop-Down-Tuning-Heavy-Bass-Strings-585429-i1530211.gc here's an example of some of the strings you can find here http://www.guitarcenter.com/Other-Gauges-4-String-Sets,New-Gear.gc but again I really think you should just use 110's otherwise you're stuck with in my opinion a wonky setup of strings

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I'd suggest looking for sets that are gauged similarly to;

.142 .096 .072 .052

or

.136 .092 .068 .049

Standard B strings are generally under-tensioned as a matter of course - upping the tension on the treble side only exacerbates that characteristic.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR makes sets designed for just that, they are called DDT's (Drop Down Tuning).

5. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    The DDTs are for dropping the entire set down and maintaining 4ths intervals across the fret board, and NOT for dropping just the lowest string that whole step.

6. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    knuckle_head is correct.

Circle K Strings Drop Tune sets are designed to have the strings at equal tension, this has many advantages. Or alternatively you could put together a custom set from your favourite brand of single strings.

A lighter set with less tension would actually flop around more and create more fretbuzz.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    nope.
    yep.

sorry, but if those big strings are buzzing, then by definition the bass is not "set up well". lighter strings would just allow more backbow and make the problem worse.

8. musicforpeace

musicforpeace

Aug 22, 2011
    I've been using drop B for a while and i recently had the idea of getting a 5 string bass and tuning the top four strings up one whole step giving me an extra high string. I've been told this would require extremely light strings to avoid ruining the neck. Any idea what gauges would be good for this?

9. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Ge the B of your choice - .130 or better (IMO) - and get a real light 4 string set with a .095 as the E string. It will get you close.

10. Wait a second- by "Drop B" do you mean BADG? Or BEAD? BEAD is "B Standard". "Drop B" is BADG.

11. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Better bone up on your drop tuning terminology. Drop B is B F# B E. In other words, C# Standard and then drop the 4th string a whole step.

12. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Circle K strings has:

.136 .090 .067 .049 .035
    and
    .142 .094 .070 .053 .037

sets which would be great for your application.

Linking you to their list of standard scale, drop-tuned, 5 string sets: Circle K Strings - Standard Drop-tuned 5 Strings

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    nope

yep

or drop C a half step... we're big Sevendust honks so we use drop B from time to time... sounds huge