Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DP Custom Dave Pushic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Apr 18, 2004.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Anyone have recent experience with a DP Custom bass, say, in the last 8 to 10 months?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Dave's basses get a mixed reaction on TB. However by limiting opinions to the last 8-10 months you may only get positive comments because those people who have negative expereinces with his basses probably have not played one in that "recent" timeframe.

I suggest you do a search if you want to read about some of the negative expereinces.

BTW IBTL :D

3. DP basses draw a widely varied mixture of opinion and experience.

IBTL here too!

4. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've now had my DP Custom for about a month now and I've been meaning to post some comments (I'll post pics once I figure out HOW!) If you go to his Gallery, mine is the single cut 4 string at the very bottom of page 3 with a maple burl top and a single MM pick-up with one volume and tone knobs.

Well...how to say this...I really like the bass BUT I now know what other TBers meant when they said that some owners had to spend even more money to "get it right".
    PROs -
    *I got a bass of my own design! Unique and individual.
    *I have a very cool tone! Warm and mellow!
    *Dave is a stand-up guy! Dealing with him was very positive and he promptly answered all of my emails.
    CONS -
    *The fretboard needs real help. All sorts of high spots.
    *The bridge saddles are already at the lowest point and the action is still too high for my taste. (I'm checking in to having the bridge recessed into the body as a solution).
    *The poly finish he applied is kinda swirly.
    *The pick-up cavity is roughly routed.
    *I waited 13 MONTHS to get it (at the time, his site claimed 18-22 WEEKS).

If you go with him, BE EXACT with what you want, right down to the last detail. Be prepared to WAIT...

5. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Well, in order to give Dave a fair shake, I figure that the more basses he makes, the better he should get in ironing out the rough spots so to speak, so the more recent work should be better, no?

6. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    What kind of bridge did you ask for?

7. I have a DP custom 6 for 4 months now. Buckey burl, bartolini quad coils, passive system. A gorgeous bass. The surface has a couple of flaws which you are only able to see with a magnifying glass. It's one of the best sounding and the easiest playing basses I own, and it's my main axe.
    Besides the DP I have:

1. Benavente Vortex 6;
    2. FBB Cuscom 8 string fretless;
    3. FBB 6 single cut;
    4. Conklin Bill Dickens 7 string;
    5, John Carruthers 8 string fretted.

:bassist:

8. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    That buckeye burl is gorgeous. How long did it take you to get it?

9. It took almost 9 months. I believe that if you don't rush Dave he's able to do a great job, especially for the price.
    I've seen complaints about other high end basses which cost 3-4 times more. All I can say that Dave is always willing to do his best and adjust and modify any customer's complaint, IMO.

:bassist:

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you know, i don't appreciate having to clean out this crap. how about you guys keep the wiseacre comments to yourselves when the questions are valid, eh? :rolleyes:

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Makes sense to me.

Seems like same old same old.

12. Hengishammer

Hengishammer

Nov 14, 2003
    I am having a bass built by Dave, but I intend to wait until I recieve the bass before I post any comments about him or the bass.

I will leave a very detailed account. :ninja:

13. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    When did you place your order, and when do you expect delivery?

14. Hengishammer

Hengishammer

Nov 14, 2003
    He said it was to be completed before the end of december 2003. It is now april, and no bass.