1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DPA 4023 for miking?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by brandonwong, Feb 27, 2008.

1. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Hi,

Wondering if anyone has uses a DPA to mic their bass instead of the more common ones like AKG, Crown, etc...
    This mic is about $1.5k and would like to hear comments on it.
    Worth the money?

Thanks

2. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    While DPA makes some truly excellent mics, it's hard to say whether this one would be worth the price in your application. The only way I know is to try it, so perhaps you can arrange a demo / audition with a DPA dealer or at least have return privileges.

Personally I would consider a good dynamic mic, such as an Audix D2. They're a lot less money, often less hassle, and can sound very good.

3. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    By miking, I assume you mean live sound/amplification?

I don't have any DPA mics (though I am considering purchasing a pair in the near future), but I have some other excellent mics. IMO, something like that would be way overkill for live sound - unless you are also recording.

Keep in mind that I am firmly in the camp that dynamic mics are better for amplifying DB on the bandstand. I do prefer condensers for recording, though - so like I said...if you are using one mic for both, it may be worth checking out.

FWIW, In my research on DPA I've read some good reviews of using the cheaper 4060/4061 or 4090/4091 on DB (for recording-not live sound). They are omnis though - not cardioid like the model you are looking at.

4. +1 ... personally, i think in a live context priority one is feedback control, which, to me, equals a dynamic mic. i'm still high on the heil pr-40. supernatural sound, very feedback resistant, minimal proximity effect.

5. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    The idea would be for live sound because it's small. It's basically a 4011 capsule in a smaller package.
    The 4011 are definitely great mics for classical. Pristine and accurate sound reproduction whenever i use them for recording concert soloist.

As for feedback, i think passing the signal thru a notch filter or the LR Baggs Feedback master (2 notch filters in one) will be sufficient to cut it out.

Lastly if i ever need a mic for studio recording, this can be a backup too.

As for a choice between dynamic and condensers, the latter would have a more purposeful function capturing the woody body of the bass.

6. Hcb

Hcb

Jun 19, 2006
    Sweden
  7. not denying that it's a great mic, i do think for live sound it's a bit overkill, but for recording i'm sure it's quite wonderful.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Rufus Reid is using a new DPA mic this year, the 4099, which is designed for guitar but sounds wonderful for bass. I'll hear it up close and personal at tonight's concert, but so far it sounds great. It's also in the same price range as the AMT, about $600. More on this as I hear more.

9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Chris,
    This mic really looks like the ATM 350 (see below) I used to own. Let us know how Rufus is mounting it to the bass. Does it need a pre amp to drive it?
    Ric

10. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I use the ATM 35 which I assume is the same as the 350. That being said, I used the B&K which is the same as the DPA (not sure which model). I think that the ATM35 blows away the AMT and certainly any dynamic mic. That being said, the B&K blows away the ATM35. If and when I can afford it, I'd love to get one.( a DPA) I can hear the difference live. I'm not a dynamic fan for DB. Not enough "air" and detail.

11. juuzek

juuzek

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I play with a guitarist who uses the DPA 4099. Very clear and real sounding mic. He did have some issues with volume in larger/louder venues, and DPA provided him with a pre amp to use on trial. I personally thought the issues were from his mic placement-- he positioned the mic like the photo on the link which might be a little too far from the top for live sound-- but he now uses the preamp with the mic and it sounds great.

If you have a press kit, web site etc. you should try to contact DPA directly; they make offer you artist pricing.

12. juuzek

juuzek

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia
    The plastic clamp on the 4099 mounts onto a guitar like an H-Clamp would mount to a bass, but in smaller scale. It's actually the weakest feature of the mic.

I am not sure if my friend's mic mount was modified [ie trimmed] but it doesn't seem deep enough to mount onto bass ribs.

13. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I am not a DB playerand have not used this particular model, but I am a sound tech by trade and I have used many DPA mics over the years. We use about 8 of the headsets at work. Everything I have used a DPA on, the results were great. Excellent mics, but you do pay for them. If you can afford them, they are worth the money.

Hope that helps.
    Best of luck.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Rufus mounts the guitar clip onto the tailpiece, then positions the mic from there. The XLR jack also has a clip on it, which he said he sometimes mounts onto the tailpiece as well.

15. We saw Rufus using this mic a few weeks ago at the ISB convention and his sound was killin.... By the way his playing is a notch above what I remembered seeing him years ago, total command of the instrument and a great writer to boot.....

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm going to be sitting on the floor about 10' from his bass during the concert tonight. He's a great guy to work with - very supportive of all the rest of us mortals on the bass faculty, very approachable when anyone (faculty or student) has a question for him, and really generous with his time in answering questions/dealing with technical bass issues etc. I wish there were more on this planet like him.

17. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    Amen.

18. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    The DPA 4099 works between 80 Hz - 15 kHz, it's enough for the low E ?( 41hz ).

19. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    In my experience this shouldn't be a problem. I am using a mic with an 80-13k frequency response and I get plenty of low end. One key to this is proximity effect--that is, as the mic gets closer to the bass, the more the low frequencies are boosted.

Here's the frequency response graph of the 4099:

[​IMG]

You can see that at 100cm distance there is definitely a large drop off in the bass response, but at 10cm, which is more likely for miking the bass, the low frequencies are in fact boosted by quite a bit. If anything, you may need to turn the bass knob down.

20. Yo Chris.......
    How was the Concert, and how did Rufus and the mic sound?