DR Flats compared to Sadowsky Flats, tension-wise

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lownote Floyd, Jan 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Lownote Floyd

Lownote Floyd

May 31, 2010
    USA
    Hi. Can someone tell me how these two compare as far as tension? I'd like to give one or both a try. Too bad that DR only offers one gauge. Thanks. I prefer a little flexibility. As for sound, I know it's subjective but feedback is appreciated as well.

2. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    I've tried both, on a Fender P. The DRs are definately close to the Sadowsky SBF45 (045-105) in tension. I would say maybe even a bit tighter feel, i.e. less flexible.

Soundwise I found the DRs (I tried two sets - both new) to be duller than the Sads, and also more uneven sound from string to string, even after breaking in. The Sadowskys are more articulate, very even feel and sound from string to string, and (it must be said) are my favorite flatwound string. YMMV, etc :)

If I were you, I would try the Sadowskys in Light gauge, 040-100, since you like a bit of flexibility. They are higher tension than TI flats, and a bit lower tension than LaBella 760FL, if that helps.

michael_t likes this.
  3. I have no personal experience with the DR Flats, but I 100% agree with what @Klonk said about the Sadowsky.

The 40-100 set to me has an ideal balance between being easy enough for my left hand and being stiff enough not to go all wimpy under my plucking fingers when I dig in. The string-to-string balance is also excellent both in terms of tone and tension, almost right out of the package. (Not like some flats that take six months to settle and balance out.)

Klonk likes this.
  4. Lownote Floyd

Lownote Floyd

May 31, 2010
    USA
    Thank you both. Just what I needed to hear. Now if I can just find the Sadowskys. Pretty scarce online these days.

5. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Scarce?
    Ebay
    Bassstringsonline
    Any Sadowsky dealer
    Direct from the NYC Sadowsky shop

6. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    You won't find many on ebay IME, but yes, check With Jason, or buy directly from Sadowsky.

I get what you mean by "scarce" because even Sadowsky themselves have been out-of-stock on these for more than a month at a time.

Hope you like them! :)

7. Lownote Floyd

Lownote Floyd

May 31, 2010
    USA
    Gave up looking for the Sadowskys and went instead with a set of light gauge LaBella Low Tension Flexible Flats on my Fender P. They sound pretty darn good to me and not nearly as stiff as regular La Bella Flats or as floppy as TI flats. As far as I'm concerned they can stay on forever. Sadowsky will have to wait.