DR Neon Yellow Bass Strings started to smell after a week??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MustangLouis25, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Lo Riders

16.7%
  2. Hi Beams

50.0%
  3. Sun Beams

16.7%
  4. Pure Blues

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Neon

16.7%
  1. MustangLouis25

MustangLouis25

Jun 21, 2015
    England
    Hi, so I bought a set of Yellow DR Neon bass strings (45-105) last Thursday and put them on my bass and now it is 8 days later and today I was playing my bass normally and smelt something weird and I smelt my strings and realised that they smelt funny. Has anyone else had this problem before? I assume it is the coating but I don't like the smell. Also could anyone tell me how the other DR Bass strings like Lo Riders, Sun Beams, Hi Beams and Pure Blues sound and feel (tension wise) compared to the Neon Bass strings? Thanks

2. Out of the four listed, the Lo-Riders are the only hex-core, which make them stiffer than the other three, which are round-core. DR Neons are also round-core.

Out of the three round-core ones, the Hi Beams, being Stainless Steel, are the brightest in tone, followed by the Pure Blues (Nickel alloy) then the Sunbeams (Nickel-plated Steel), which are the warmest of the four.

As far as I know, the Neon are basically coated Sunbeams.

3. By the way, the Sunbeams and the Nickel Lo-Riders are the two I've tried in the past and I can assure you they don't stink. ;)

4. MustangLouis25

MustangLouis25

Jun 21, 2015
    England
    Hi Michael thanks for your reply that's exactly what I needed to know.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I like the Pure Blues a lot, but Hi Beams are still my favorite, though I'm liking DDTs as well.

6. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Hi Beams and Sun Beams cover all the bases (no pun intended) quite nicely for me.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021