DR Sunbeam sound and feel in a groundwound string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dlenaghan, Nov 3, 2011.

1. So I've been using Sunbeams on my Guilds, but I'd like one off them to wear flats...but not true flats, since I don't really like the feel. Any suggestions for round core, low tension nickel strings in a hybrid round/flat category? Apologies if I've misused any terminology, I'm not an expert on strings...

2. Basscataz

Basscataz

Jul 21, 2010
    NYC
    d'addario semi flats, or half wounds, are great. i used to use them on my fretless.

3. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Only round wounds sound like round wounds. DR's own Pressure wounds are good compromise strings, though.

4. @ Basscataz: Thanks for the input, I'll check them out.
    @ tekdiver: I know, I know - and actually I like Sunbeams so much because they sound so little like most other rounds I've tried, you know, with that soft blooming warmth they're noted for.. I'll check out the pressure wounds.

I asked because the bass I intend on installing them on has this beautiful brass custom bridge which gives it great sustain, but the brightness and bite is a bit much. I'm waiting for its Sunbeams to oxidize a bit, since I know they really warm up after a couple of weeks and level out with the edge. I figured a half-flat string profile would temper the bite of the brass without compromising the sustain or overall character of the bass.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    That's gonna be a hard thing to find, since Sunbeams use a round core. You just won't get that feel with anything else.

6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    DR does not make any pressure wounds?

Which strings were you thinking of?

7. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Oops. Yup, I was thinking of the GHS Pressurewounds. I also like the DR Black Beauties as a good compromise string.

8. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    Just keep playing a set of Sunbeams until they go dead. That sounds like what you're after.

9. Well, they've gone dead/warmed up/been broken in, and holy hell do they sound AWESOME.

Thanks for all the input!

10. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    GHS Pressurewounds, DR Sunbeams and Fatbeams, and D'Addario Chromes, these are some of my favorite strings! (My Favorite Strings tribute to John Coltrane)

11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    FYP :)

Nice

12. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    GHS Brite Flats. Rounds ground almost flat. Really like these.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021