Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dr250 in progress

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MPU, Jan 27, 2006.

1. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I've been building a DR250 for a few days now. A lot more to do than on a more conventional cabinet. I hope it's worth it!
    Marko

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Very impressive! I was starting to get quite keen on building a DR250 until I saw some construction shots - so complicated compared to a reflex cab and way beyond my woodworking ability. But I'm sure the effort will pay off when you hear it!

Anyone any idea what it would cost to have one built for you?

Alex

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That looks very impressive, but I have no idea what I'm looking at. Now, I've seen reflex, line transmission, etc, and I think I see a wooden folded horn in that pic, but what makes the Dr250 design what it is?

Sorry for the newb question, but I'm not sure if I have GAS, or not. I need more iformation. :D

But, it looks good so far.

EDIT: Okay, so Google is a wonderful thing.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/plans/product_info.php/products_id/3

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Looks good, but I don't see the driver mounting bolt holes on the baffle, nor TNuts. I hope you didn't skip over that step.

5. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Don't worry Bill, the driver plate is just put in place. It's not glued yet. I'll wait for the Beta 10 before I drill the holes for mounting screws.
    I wetted and prebend the inner sides of the horn (1/4" birch plywood) today so they have to dry anyway before mounting them. Wetting the plywood really helps when bending!
    Marko

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    OK, you had me worried there. Wetting and pre-bending isn't required when using a 3 ply spruce or pine plywood, though I'd guess in your neck of the woods finding less than 5 ply 1/4inch isn't so easy.

7. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Well I wanted to use only birch plywood and you're right, there's no 3-ply birch plywood here. At least there will be no issues on strength of the cabinet regarding materials.
    Marko

8. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I've been wanting to see one of Bill's models put together so I'm subscribing. Keep up the good work!

9. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I just posted on Bills's forum today looking for a builder/user in my area.... hoping this thread may answer my carpentry questions....

SM