1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Drake Custom Marilyn

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Koog, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    For Sale Only....Drake Custom "Marilyn". Finished November 2010.

A fine example of Andrew Drake's model DC 4....a light weight 4 string , traditional 34" scale bass.

• Wenge Neck and fingerboard, bound in bloodwood
    • Slim jazz bass neck design....1.5 inches at the nut....2.5 inches at the 24th fret
    • Mother of pearl front and side fret markers
    • Two carbon fiber stab rods and dual action truss rod
    • Body is light weight swamp ash wings on a wenge center block
    • Two EMG jazz pickups
    • Wired volume, volume, tone
    • 9V active
    • Hipshot ultralite tuners and Hipshot A style bridge
    • Dunlop straplocks
    • Strung with RotoSound RS77LD flats
    • Weight is only 8 pounds
    • Comes with a Gator GPE BASS TSA hardshell case

This bass has a warmer, focused low end and warm, poppy mids and highs. This bass is versatile and has tone forever. Great sustain. Neck is smooth and silky to the touch....great feel. Very well balanced and comfortable to playing sitting or standing.

Condition is as new.

Price is [DEL]$1,475.00 [/DEL] $1,400.00 shipped, insured in CONUS. I accept PayPal.

Please PM me with questions, for more information or with offers.

No Trades, please.

Please click on thumbnails for larger images.

More photos follow in the next two posts.

Thanks for looking.

Koog.

Attached Files:

2. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    More photos of Marilyn.

Please click on the thumbnails for larger images.

More photos follow in the next post.

Thanks for looking.

Koog

Attached Files:

3. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Final photos of Marilyn.

Please click on thumbnails for larger images.

Thanks for looking.

Koog

Attached Files:

4. selassie1

selassie1 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2011
    I played this bass in a store last year and was blown away at how well the woods and electronics work together. This combo is magic! Warwick meets Pedulla with a Jazz/ Lakland feel. Bump for a fantastic bass!

5. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Thanks for the compliment. I want to clarify that this bass was never for sale in a store. I bought it direct from Andrew Drake in early December, 2010.

The dark colored twin to this bass, Rita, was available at Mass Street Music in Lawrence, Kansas through part of 2011 and sold there.

Rita was finished on 11/9/2010 and has Padauk facings and wings. Marilyn was finished on 11/10/2010 and has Wenge facings and Ash wings. Electronics in both basses are the same.

Just wanted to make it clear that Marilyn was never hanging in a music store and subjected to the shopwear that often happens. The poster could have played Marilyn in one of two stores in Iowa as Andrew was demoing the bass to the store owner. He does this from time to time.

Marilyn, as compared to Rita is more full in tonal range and a bit more versatile in capability....at least to my ear. I'm sure it is the difference in wood and only a matter of personal preference. I played both basses extensively before Rita went to Mass Street and chose Marilyn. I had a hard time deciding between the two.

Since this topic has been opened, I'll say here that the only reason Marilyn is for sale is that I've come to prefer the 32" scale basses Andrew is making. They seem to fit me better and because of that, Marilyn, being a 34" scale, doesn't get as much playing time as she deserves. Time to get her into the hands of someone who will give her that time.

The previous poster is correct in that the combination of woods and electronics in Marilyn is outstanding. And, the workmanship and quality of finish make ergonomics and playability exceptional.

This really is an exceptional bass and a good value for anyone looking for a high quality, light weight, boutique bass, in a 34"scale.

Sorry to be so lengthy here, but I thought is important to clear up any misunderstandings about this bass, its origin and history.

Please PM me with any questions or for more information.

Koog

6. selassie1

selassie1 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Yikes, sorry for the confusion. I must have played the Rita bass which was fantastic. It sounds like Marilyn is just as good or better!

GLWTS!

7. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Please notice the listing price includes shipping, insured in the Continental US and any transaction charges. The price you see is the total price for the bass in your hands.

8. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Price reduction for Marilyn to $1,400 shipped, insured in CONUS. I accept PayPal.

Koog.

9. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    I can reduce the price slightly, if the buyer would accept a Pro Tech gig bag instead of the hard shell case. I have the packaging to ship safely this way. Please PM me to talk about it.

This is a great bass. Very versatile, light weight and a dream to play. Someone needs to pick this one up. You won't be sorry.

Koog

10. iuserneim

iuserneim

Feb 7, 2009
    germany
    love the grain of wenge. bump for a beautiful bass

11. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Koog,

I just noticed your thread. This is a beautiful bass, and I shouldn't be shopping. ;)

The Drake website describes this bass's pickups as being "EMG 3.0 Jazz". A quick search suggests that they were a "long magnet" model, intended for 5-string or widely spaced 4-string applications.

Does this bass have uncommonly wide string spacing?

Thanks,

Snaxster

12. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Hey Snax....

Thanks for your interest.

The string spacing is not uncommonly wide. I would characterize it as similar to a Jazz bass.

The neck measures 1.5" at the nut, 2" at 12 and 2.5" at 24.

I just talked to Andrew Drake about the pups. He confirms these pups are designed for 4 or 5 string basses, so long as the string spread does not exceed a total of three inches.

The total spread at the nut is 1 1/2", the total spread at 12 is 1 3/4", the spread at 24 is 2 1/8", at the neck pup the spread is 2 1/4", at the bridge pup the spread is 2 1/2 " and at the saddle the spread is 2 13/16".

The pups are built with blades for magnets instead of poles, which means there are no issues with alignment for signal to be received from strings and signal coverage is complete. I can confirm that the individual string volume is very balanced, string to string.

The sound is as I have described it in the OP. If you want versatility with great punch, you'll like the sound.

If you have more questions, please shoot me a PM.

Hope we can get together.

Again, thanks for your interest.

Koog.

13. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hi Koog,

Here's a bump in appreciation of our correspondence.

Though I can't acquire this beautiful bass right away, after all, if it is still available when I can, I would be glad to buy it from you then.

But I'm sure you would prefer a sale sooner than later. :D So I wish you luck!

Best,

Snaxster

14. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Bump for an honest and very knowledgeable guy.

15. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Hey Talk Bass community....My Drake Custom, Marilyn is still available. Sorry, I can't reduce the price any further than I've stated through the thread. I'm at the rock bottom.

TBers, this is a great opportunity to own a super playing and sounding Drake Custom at 30% below what it would cost to commission it new. Drakes are a great value at new pricing and this one is in as new condition at a discounted price.

Remember, my pricing includes shipping CONUS and I will absorb the PayPal costs as well.

Please give Marilyn a serious look.

Thanks.

Koog

16. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Nice looking bass! PM and bump.

17. GrandLowBass

GrandLowBass

Oct 26, 2012
    Kansas
    Played one of these Drakes in a Lawrence, KS shop. Smooth, clean, defined tone, absolutely gorgeous fit and finish. Looks like you've got another beauty, Koog. GLWTS!

18. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Thanks for your kind words GLB. Yeah, the Drakes really are super basses. Really a lot of instrument for the money....with great craftsmanship, playability and sound with huge punch.

I'm very surprised Marilyn hasn't sold by now. Players who overlook the Drakes are really missing something quite special. Those who have played them know.

Koog.

19. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Good luck with the knee surgery! Nice corresponding with you earlier.

20. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    This posting is closed. I will, however, consider any reasonable offer for Marilyn, made by PM, through Tuesday, November 20th.

As an explanation, I am having a knee replacement on November 28th, have much to do to prepare for the surgery and am facing a recovery of several months.

I will relist in early 2013, if still available.

Thanks to all of you who looked and wrote me about this great bass.

Best.

Koog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.