Dreaded pinky...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Oblivisc, Mar 22, 2014.

1. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Jul 2, 2012
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can shag off
    I had my 3rd finger cut off and reattached in 1985. For 20 It hurt so bad when using med. strings. I learned to compensate with my pinky. In 2005 I started using super lites, and was slowly able to begin using my 3rd finger again. I worked my way back up to med. this yr.
    Maybe switch to light gauge strings for awhile and maybe you can develop more control w a liter gauge.

2. I never really did any special excercises, I just kept working thru it like the other fingers. Im not suggesting that you dont, I just never thought to do so. After playing bass for nearly 25-26 yrs now, my hands have truly morphed,(stretched) and my finger strength is quite good....Im always asked to "Open this". lol. But like Lownote38 posted, no real shortcuts, quality practice and excercise, you'll get it.

3. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Jul 2, 2012
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can shag off
    Metronomes are friggen awesome!

4. bass_case

bass_case Maintain low tones. Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Miami, FL
    I occasionally warm up the "little side" of my hand by playinging a familiar riff that you normally play with fingers 1-3 with fingers 2-4.

5. Oblivisc

Oblivisc

Mar 22, 2014
    Thank you everybody, I will make sure I utilize the tips you've given me :)

6. krzym1

krzym1

Oct 4, 2012
    1234 and spider exercises never really helped me to keep pinky near fret board when I'm playing songs.

Basically, when I'm doing independence exercises my pinky stays over the fretboard as "it knows" that it is going to be used, but when I'm playing songs and/or improvise a bit it tends to curl under the fretboard - especially when I'm using my 3rd finger as pinky wants to move in the same way.

Hopefully it usually is fast enough to come back on the frets when I need it.

As for developing the strength, I'd just try to use pinky as much as possible (especially octaves up to 5th fret, or playing a ninth interval - ie. B on your E string and F# on G string )

7. Play pinball with your pinky's.

Know when to put the metal to the pedal.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021