Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dream Vocalist

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Marc Decho, Oct 11, 2005.

1. anybody ever lay back and think ....man would I love to back up """""""" last night during rehersal, we're firing through Fly me to the Moon, the alto has the lead vocal line and i'm doin' whatever it is that I do and I think DAMN! wish I could transport myself back at The Sands in '66 backing up Frankie along with Count Basie and his orchestra, wouldn't that be the ultimate gig for a young swinger ! one cat that can really swing it up like ol' blue eyes is Michael Buble....I don't like all his stuff, but the good stuff is real good....he gives me those Frankie goosebumps down my neck......whatta you guys tink ? hell maybe someone on here has backed up Frankie before ?

2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think you've been drinking too much :)

3. well i've been known to knock back one too many schlitzes! hey Adrian btw i'm really looking forward to your two concerts in Feb....are you checking out any of the Geggie stuff ?

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I haven't backed up "Frankie", but I've played with Michael Buble. He's a great singer and entertainer. Chicks dig him in a big way.

5. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yeah man, I know where you're coming from. You have the power to spotlight these people as intensely as possible and it can be an extremely rewarding experience, thought it be a vicarious one.

6. nice one.....what kind of setting was it, big band style I imagine ? buddy of mine saw him last summer and said he's funny as all hell too, apparantely used to be a stand up comic, .... I totally dig his style, I hope to see him down the line maybe do some different standards and things

7. totally, you make it sound better by giving them that extra space, bounce and swing to work off of, ever since I was a kid i've always practiced along with records of my fav's, closed my eyes and pretended I was right there in the moment with them....and I still do that!

8. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Working hard on stuff for February right now - a lot of music to take care of. I did have a quick chat with John about his shows for this season and will definitely try and catch one or two.

On the subject of vocalists, I've never actually played with any male vocalists to be honest or none that I remember. Plenty of girls but no guys.

9. I think as it stands right now jazz vocalism is perhaps more dominated by females, I find alot of guys just don't have "the vocal quality" whereas more females do... just an observation I could stand to be corrected....

Keep workin' at that material i'll be checking those out for sure, my wife's actually due with child #2 in the middle of Feb too, so if you hear some chick scream "Get me outta Here" that'll be my wife ;)

10. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Oddly enough Chris Breitner is playing bass in that concert (when I conduct) and also on one of the numbers which will require two basses. His first child is due then and that may throw a spanner in the works.

To be honest, I have played bass at some jam sessions in town when there were some male vocalists and in both cases they were truly horrible but then again some of the women weren't that much better either.

11. that's hilarious! who knows...in my case hopefully one of the Mingus tunes causes my unborn child to go into a frenzy and burst out ! born under a Mingus tune, whatelse could a proud papa ask for ?

12. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I work often with a fine male vocalist, Chris Humphrey. Chris' upcoming CD features Matt Wilson and Martin Wind . . .

It was definitely a trip to hear my songs sung by a male vocalist. Chris acknowledges that all male jazz vocalists have to get past "The Bill Murray Factor." You know . . . "Star Wars, give me them-a Star Woah-oars . . . ThankYooVeyMush, yer beyootiful -- don't change!"

13. That's hilarious! man I love that SNL sketch, haven't seen it in years! i'll be here all night, please tip your waitress....thanks for the link i'll check him out

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Piano trio + 3 horns. And yeah, he's a funny guy, and very nice as well. At the time, he was also sportin' one of the most beautiful girlfriends that I've ever seen with a musician.

15. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    (I never heard him called Frankie?)
    I had the chance to see Francis Albert at the Desert Inn. This was maybe '93, he was 78 at the time.
    I stood over near the exit with Frank's bouncer and Louie Anderson the comic.
    The bouncer said, "Frank's on tonight!"
    The man was one big swingin' johnson! One of those moments-he was the man.
    To see him was certainly a learning experience for me.

16. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    You never heard of "Cranky Frankie?"

17. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
  18. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001