1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drop C songs?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by elcamino72, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Anyone know good drop c songs? ive learned ALOT of system of a down.... but i want to learn more and frankly cannot find alot of bands or songs i like in drop c so can anyone please :help: me streach out...

2. deftones?

3. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    What ties you to drop C? Do you not have a tuner?

4. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Why do you have to do this? just work with a 5-string. That must be one floppy string.

5. UnderTone

UnderTone

Mar 22, 2009
    Tucson, Arizona
    most of mudvayne's stuff is in drop c

a quick twist of the tuner or drop a couple hundred dollars on a new bass :rolleyes:

6. My band tuned in C for a while (we rock half-step now) and it really wasnt too floppy.

As for songs, I dont know what kind of music youre looking for but a lot of metal bands drop down. Try Ill Niño, God Forbid, and even Pantera...

7. yeah... the lowest i found for pantera was D...... Ill try lil nino and god forbid.... and acylone and blues walker... i play in alot of different tunings, even as low as drop B for slipknot...... the strings are honestly not floppy if you know how to handle them... but i also play standerd.... you shouldnet look down on C tuning man...

8. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    Dream Theather's Train of Thought album has got a few great C based songs IIRC..

Also, no need to downtune to C. Use BEAD strings and up-tune a half step, it'll feel much better, as tense as a B on a 35.5" 5 string bass. Much, much better low C in my opinion.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

You guys seem to ignore the Destruktïw (hint, hint) power of a detuned low C. It makes the room rumble and the band sounds twice as big.
    I use standard tuning most of the time but frequenctly use a detuner to bring my E to low C. Floppy indeed but the kind of tone you get can't be obtained from an uptuned B string.

10. ronros

ronros

Mar 30, 2009
    heaven
    try nu metal bands.like killswitch engage and as i lay dying.they are all drop C tuning with a 4 string bass used.

11. Bocete

Sep 30, 2006
    I'm not sure about that - if that were the case, a short scale low B would sound better than an extra long scale B, and no luthier I've seen has proposed fanning frets the other way - shortening the lower strings to increase floppiness. We've got thunderous basses with tense 39" B strings, while no floppy 30" B would I call thunderous.

Dingwalls, with their 37" B string, have won many an award for the best B string available, and they are not floppy at all.

This is all IMO, the way I think about the subject.

12. Jazz Ad

That's because the people who take time to give awards to super expensive gear don't have the same concerns as the people detuning their actual instrument to get a huge sound.
    It's not about being better. It's about fitting your needs.
    A bass sounding like a tight grand piano has its uses. So does the infamous wobbling of a detuned string.

13. Bocete

Sep 30, 2006
    Okay.

14. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    After reading some of the other bands listed, the next one that comes to mind is Godsmack.

15. Jazz Ad

16. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    slipknot's older stuff like wait and bleed is in C

17. braz_b2

braz_b2

Mar 17, 2009
    Thirce - "To awake and avenge the dead" and "Paper Tigers"

18. I believe the lowest pantera tuning is C#.
    But I'm "just" the singer in our Pantera Jam :meh:

19. SuperBassSam

SuperBassSam

Feb 9, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    I think Panteras "Reinventing the Steel" album is in drop c or perhaps a little higher but its definitely lower than drop d. Also try:

Bullet for my valentine
    Lostprophets
    KSE
    Machine Head
    Slayer

20. SuperBassSam

SuperBassSam

Feb 9, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    Beat me to it ;)