Drum machine question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MichaelScott, Jun 30, 2005.

1. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Hey all,

I tired the search function but couldn't quite find the answer to my question.

I am looking for a drum machine that also has other sounds- such as Guitar, bass, piano, etc... And one that has premade samples- so for example: If I want to play a 12 bar blues in Eb (with drums and Piano) I can just hit a few buttons and get it coming out... And if I want to do a Bossa in Cmin with a full band setting I can just hit a few buttons and get that.

Is there a drum mahine out there that can do that? If not, is there a machine out there that can do that with manual programming?
  2. TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    I have the Boss RC-20XL Loop Station which I just play my live instruments into, then have it loop all over. It's easy to use, about $300 + $50 for a pedal which you will NEED if you're performing live. I'm sure there's a machine that does it for you, but most likely it'll just be MIDI sounds and sound awful.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    The only thing I can think of would be some sort of.....you guessed it, keyboard!

Some of the models out there now have CD-rom and/or compact flash slots whereby you can insert recordings of digital or analog sounds.

Look toward a keyboard first as opposed to a drum machine.
  4. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
  5. MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I use Band in a Box for play along practice. And eventually, I'd like to use the BIAB parts for recording. Maybe export them into Garage Band, and add my own bass, but haven't gotten that far yet.

6. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Any number of software samplers will also do the job, through your computer's existing sound card, and programming them is usually fairly simple, depending on the program of course. Prices range from freeware to $$$$, and there's plenty of royalty-free loops, samples, etc on the web.

Also, if you're just looking for a practice tool and not something for recording or performance, there a several varieties of consumer-type keyboards from Yamaha and Casio that will sequence parts, sometimes all you do to program them is punch in "12 bar blues in Eb" and it goes...These things don't sound good, but you can play to 'em. Just a thought.