1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drum software: BFD v EZ Drummer?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BassWombat, Jun 24, 2007.

1. I'm looking for a decent drum program for a few projects I want to work on. I've previously used iDrum (on a Macbook with Garageband/Logic) but want something a little more suited to my needs (read: I'm not that great at programming drums and need all the help I can get!)!

In a nutshell, I'm looking for a piece of software that I can program a drum pattern on, then have the software throw in a few variations around the theme (whether it's subtle variations to give a more human feel during a verse, or more dramatic variations to use during a chorus etc).

Both BFD and EZ Drummer are around the same pricepoint and I *think* will do what I'm after, but I'd like to get any input from the brains trust here first.

Many thanks.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'm interested in comparisons of these two, as well.
    Staying tuned for further info.

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Having used both, I can say they both sound great and both offer a boatload of MIDI loop files to get the non-drummer/non-programmers going. The main difference is that BFD offers more control (such as tuning the drums, which can't be done in EZdrummer), but it's also more expensive. Also, the samples in BFD are unprocessed, meaning you may have to do some EQing and processing to make it fit into the mix. The EZdrummer samples are pre-processed with a bit of EQ and such, but not extremely so. EZdrummer also has lighter system demands.

In short, if you want quick and dirty, EZdrummer is the best choice, but if you don't mind tweaking a bit and spending a bit more, BFD is great too.

4. Actually sounds kinda like JamStix would be more suitable for what you're describing.

5. I just checked it out, but it appears to be PC only (and I'm on a mac). Ah well...

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021