1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drummers Pffffffffffffffff

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DbNBassist, Oct 25, 2006.

1. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    WHATS THE DEAL!!!!!?

ok, the drummer in one of my bands, will not listen to us, at, all, if we tell him "this is how we want to do it" hell just go "i dont need drums lessons from you"

god he talks aload of rubbish all the time e.g. He says that Timmy C is a rubbish bassists but says Phil Lynott was the greatest musician of the 20th century. :confused:

Are all drummers like this?

2. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    this should be in band management.

and no, all drummers aren't like that, just the bad ones.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    What's wrong with Phil Lynott?

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    All drummers are factory made. I am sorry, this is the only model they come in.

They even have to pass a test before they can become drummers, to make SURE that they are all exactly the same.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I played with a new guitarist and drummer today for the first time, along with my old guitarist. We are hopefully forming a band together. The drummer was completely chill and modest. Does what he feels works best, takes suggestions, and lets you do what you feel works best as well.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Hmmm... a defective model, you say? I'll let The Company know.

7. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    heh heh :D

I found this really funny for some weird reason!

Ya, not all drummers are like that, you just have to find a good one, that's all :)

8. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I just quit a band because of the drummer.

He is the most talented musician I have ever played with. He toured with Stephen Pearcy's Ratt after the split, wins drum solo competitions everywhere.

But he is such an incredible a-hole I just can't be in a band with him.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    This thread, especially the last question, is proof that you're not so perfect yourself.

Not everyone who plays an instrument is a musician; and one only becomes a musician by hanging out with other musicians.

10. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    The amount of posts with people complaining about drummers on this place is amazing...perhaps it goes like this:
    Singers= egotistical jerks.
    Guitarists= wankers and slackers
    Drummers= lazy and uncooperative
    Bassists= not happy unless they are complaining about something

I say there is a lot of stereotyping and generalizations being made about drummers...yeah, yours is worthless, but for the most part, drummers are a clean and industrious people, and have been that way since they emmigrated here from Sweden.

Or something.

11. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I have no idea.

Do you like the guitar player telling you what to play? Are you paying him to do what you want him to do? If he doesn't play like you want, fire him and get another drummer.

I'm sure there are bassists on this webpage who would agree with your drummer...are we all the same?

No. You can pick up any model of drum machine that will do exactly what you want when you want it.

12. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    As a drummer, let me just say that I've played with more than my share of bassists who act exactly like the original poster's drummer.

And a few guitarists like that.

And, as a bassist, zero drummers like that.

13. As the "factory' that's producing a "drummer" as we speak, (my son), I'm instructing him in the "ways of music". That being said, he came home from a Jazz Band concert and told me that he and the bassist were like "this", (fingers intertwined). That's what it takes! Get the groove together or find another combination!!! If the drummer isn't working for the "groove", then keep on looking until you find one that works!

14. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    Ok, i would like to appoligise, i know not all drummers are like this, and i know that i myself am not perfect, but i would have to dissagree with the hanging out with other musicians things, musicianship comes from your own study and persiverance in the subjuct, not spending time with other musicians, otherwise how would the first other musician become a musician?

Nothing is wrong with Phil Lynott, but best musician of the 20th Century, i dont think so, i know its weird hearing this from a bassist, but i dont think a bassist could ever be classified as this unless they were a Multi-instrumentalist.

Now Wladyslaw Szpilman, that man had talent.

15. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    why don't you let the drummer do what he feels right for the song?

why do you have to have all the control?

are you going to listen to him when he says he wants you to play a different bassline?

16. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    A) This is not me saying this to him, it is the Guitarist in the band.

B) He is letting him do what he wants, but the drummer refused to listen to a song which the guitarist tried to play to him to show him how he wanted it to build.

C) If you had written a song wouldnt u want it sound how u wanted it?

and

D) I often listen to the Drummer in my other band when he tells me to play something else.

Also i would i like to say i did not say that all drummers are like mine, i asked if they were all like this, just showing my frustration for him, and saying that i hope there arent drummers like him.

Also, dont point fingers, you dont know him, i do.

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    No. They are not all like that. My drummer takes direction as well as giving good input.

I think it probably has a lot to do with being kicked in the nuts repeatedly by his old band mates, and his old record company. He has a real job these days, and the band is just for enjoyment. He loves what he's doing, and does it well. Sounds like that should breed a primadonna attitude, but I guess I just got lucky.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Agreed.

Hate to sidetrack this breathtaking thread, but I hear a lot of people defending the drummer's comments about Phil Lynott... he played what was right for the song, I suppose... but on a lot of the stuff I've heard from Thin Lizzy, you can barely hear him. I constantly hear him getting his props, I like Thin Lizzy, but I wouldn't rank him among the top 50 bassists (in rock).

I think he's more of a case of... he was a rockstar, plain and simple. He looked cool as ****, so therefore he's a great bassist.