Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dual monitors and Cubase SX

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ole Jason, May 4, 2004.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Is anyone using two monitors with Cubase? I have an extra one laying around and was thinking about moving things around to accomodate it. Is it something you find useful?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't use two monitors, but I wish I could.

3. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah I'm thinkin of how much more convenient it would be to have VST's, mixer, send effects, etc. all on a separate monitor. I'll have to check on video card prices.

4. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    If it's something you have just lying around I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I could happily use one just for VST instruments.

5. If you are going to use two Monitors make sure the card can work both in dual Monitor mode and stretch mode which means you can have two seperate but joined screens or one big screen across two monitors.

6. 1000% YES! Try it and I guarantee you'll never go back. I know from work using Photoshop, you have your image/picture on one monitor and all your tools/palettes on the other, so with Cubase I do the same, song one one, mixers, FX, whatever on the other. And you can save how you set them up and have different configs.

At home I used a cheap extra card and a 15inch that was lying around. I do recomend upgrading to a Dual Monitor Card. It gives me less bugs and everything looks better,... but a cheap second card will do.

I can't urge this enough. It will save you tones of time and your work/music will just flow.