1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dual purpose thread: wisdom teeth + Navy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vox Populi, May 3, 2006.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    This thread has two subjects that I have to mention together, because you can't understand one without the other.

Remember a few months ago when I posted about enlisting in the Navy? Well, I'm going to do it. Thanks everyone for your responses in that thread. I'll be leaving for RTC Great Lakes this summer.

The second part is about my wisdom teeth. Two of them are impacted, and I'm getting them removed soon. I hate surgery of any kind, I had hernia surgery when I was 8, and I just hate going under the knife. But I'm doing it because I'd rather they do it here at home while I have time to recover than the alternate option... Let them do it at boot camp. I have heard horror stories about the extractions there. Plus then you have to do PT and stuff while you're recovering. But here's the real dilemma that's bothering me: I had two other molars removed from my upper jaw when I had braces in Jr. High, so my wisdom teeth up there came in perfectly fine and healthy, as functional teeth because they had extra space. It's the bottom ones that are the problem. But I'm worried I'll get these impacted ones removed here, then when I get to basic, the Navy will get sadistic on me and remove the top ones as well just because. But they're perfecty fine.

Have you had your wisdom teeth removed in basic, for any service? And if you've had them out anywhere, how were the following few days/weeks?

2. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Did you ask the recruiting officers about that? Sounds like a legit concern to me.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    This guy is fixing to join the Navy, and his biggest concern is getting some teeth pulled?......oh boy. :D

-Mike

4. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    I joined the army national guard today. Im pretty stoked.

5. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I'm not worried about the pain or anything. I mean, I've had it done before. It took all of five minutes, and wasn't bad. I'm just worried about spending money to have my wisdom teeth out, and then just going and having them do it again at boot camp when they don't need to. Because that would suck.

And regarding the stories I've heard about people getting theirs out at RTC... The one I heard involved a very distraught looking dental officer standing over the new recruit muttering obscenities and apologizing for the fact that he'd never used that size of saw blade before....

6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I have no experience here.....

But the idea of them taking out teeth for no reason sounds like complete BS to me.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Weird, my guitar player was in the Navy before the Air Force and he told me this story just yesterday!

He was in Navy boot camp and had his wisdom teeth out. He was back up and at it the next day, and he said it SUCKED...with a capital suck.

8. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I talked to my oral surgeon about it, and it turns out he used to be an oral surgeon for the Navy. He was pretty confident that they would leave them in. So I'm not too worried about it now.

MEPS next week, I'm pretty excited.