Dumbass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fawkes007, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Ok, so like, I'm going to have a bass built for me, right? But, like, what I want to know, OK, is like, what is better for body wood, alder or ash.

So, like, all you guys and gals, what is, like, your favorite wood for the body, and like, why? OK?

And Happy Holidays.
  2. Here's something from the Peavey website.

In my opinion, alder is used for more of a vintage sound, and ash is more modern.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I wouldn't say that. My favorite Fenders from the '70's were Ash and they sound pretty darn vintage to me.

I suggest dropping by this site and reading up on it. http://www.warmoth.com/bass/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

The best wood for a body depends on the construction, electronics and other woods.
  4. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Tubular! Thanks
  5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    NICE usage of the word "like"

sorry, I had to.

oh, and "tubular," too. thats guts you have there.
  6. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    LOL. Don't mind me, it's Christmas day and I have been wracking my brain over woods for this bass I am supposedly going to order. I want to make sure I get it right so that I don't pull a "what was I thinking???"

Fingerboard wood should be easier, as I am a rosewood guy...though I may go with cocobolo, which is more like ebony (so I hear).

And top woods...too many choices.

That, and I'm out of scotch...
  7. Usually, people prefer maple with ash, and rosewood with alder. But i've actually been intrested in rosewood with swamp ash myself. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried mixing the 2?
  8. Spalted Maple for the top, Mr. Man. I love spalted maple.
  9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
  10. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    fretless freak, I believe my KSD Proto-J is swamp ash with rosewood, and it sounds pretty nice acoustic. I can't tell you how it sounds through an amp because i may or may not have a rumble 60 watt combo.... but the low end is nice and full, while the high end isn't *insert bad adjective to describe high end here*
  11. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I always think of alder of having a 'round' tone and ash as more 'edgy' or coarse - but very subtle differences. I like the look of ash grain under a transparent or semi transparent finish. If the finish is opaque the grain makes no difference, of course. Finally, ash can be noticeably heavier than alder, but not necessarily - depends on the plank.
  12. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    good luck on finding out witch woods you want

on the fingerboard, I wonder if anyone's ever done an ebony maple ebony style one? (laminated like the multi-piece necks)
  13. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Um, like, so have you um, like spoken to the luthier dude or dudette that supposedly, like, will build the bass for you? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

IMO, if a luthier has no input/opinions about how an instrument should or could be made, I'd think twice before signing the check.

PS. There is no "best" wood. I have in the past, or currently own basses made from: Koa, Ash, Alder, Cherry and Soft Maple. They all sounded different. I liked them all except the B string of the Soft Maple (34" scale) bass.