1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dunlop strap locks rusting

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jakethesheepy, Aug 16, 2012.

1. I've noticed over the last couple months that my dunlop strap locks have started rusting. My band practices in a storage unit and it gets really hot so a lot of nights I practice shirtless and sweat a lot. Could the strap be soaking up sweat and causing the locks to rust up? Is there a different brand of strap locks I should be using to avoid this or just stop practicing without a shirt?

2. I'm on my second set since having moved to Hawaii. The first set rusted so bad that the little locking balls disintegrated. I've tried to repaint them, but it only lasts a short while. I don't know if anyone makes them, but I sure would like a set of stainless steel ones. For now, I make sure to wipe them down after every use (daily) and apply a little vasoline, then wipe off the excess. It will leave a film on them that seems to be helping a lot with the current set. Hope this helps.

3. Find an air-conditioned practice area, wear a cotton T-shirt, get some Schaller chrome plated strap locks, clean your bass after using it. Hire a personal adviser to help you go through life.;)
    Rocky

4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I've used Schaller locks for a long time, because they don't rely on little teeny ball bearings to keep the strap on the bass.

5. Thanks for the advice gents, just ordered a set of the schaller locks.

6. Kerry_King

Kerry_King

Dec 15, 2011
    west hollywood, ca
    Artist Relations: Get'm Get'm/LOXX USA
    I will make it clear that I do work for LOXX USA, but LOXX were invented to attach convertible tops to cabriolets and to attach marine canvas to boats. They were designed specifically to withstand heavy weathering, and will not rust. They're lower profile than Schallers, and do not require an additional step in order to be completely safe (locktite). Check them out at www.loxxusa.com and let me know if you have any questions.

7. the Arsonaut

the Arsonaut

Aug 27, 2012
    Have fun and earn hipster points
    Here's how!

Have a beer. Have two.
    Take the bottleca--wait, you were drinking cans?..okayokay...

Have a longneck. Have two.
    Take the bottlecaps, and now,
    with aid of an awl, a metalpunch, or pointy phillips head...
    Punch a hole through the middle of the bottlecap.

Remove your straploks and straplok screws.
    Take your $20 straploks, trade them in for more beer.
    place strap over strap pin hole.
    place bottlecap over strap pin hole.
    IMPORTANT:
    Line these up with screw.
    Screw.

Congratulations, you've either joined a NYHC band
    or are reading this on your mac, in a starbucks, with your
    fixed gear bike chained outside.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, I checked some out at my local GC - although I'm atleast a 20 year user of Schallers, with excellent results - the LOXX do look worth trying out...

- georgestrings

9. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    If you dont need to take your strap off, just find some metal washers that will fit over the smaller part (part that touches the body) of the stock strap button, but not the larger (outer) part. And are large enough to cover the slit in the strap.

Slip washer onto button, slip strap onto button, screw button onto bass. BAM, strap lock that won't squeak, break or fail due to rusted bearings. Stainless Steel washers will last an eternity, but other types of metal work too.

I use that system on most of my instruments. The rest have schallers.