1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dusted off old cab build, need speaker suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Dec 11, 2019.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    So I built this box about 10 years ago. Just for fun and without any guidance except based the size off a previous cab I owned. It has a 4” ID x 4” deep port. 2.76 internal ft3. The speaker is one of those low Xmax (3mm) Carvin NE15-4 4 ohm neo drivers. Sounds decent for a mid range Geddy Lee type tone but I wouldn’t mind it having more lows and a better overall balanced tone as a stand-alone cab, full range as possible. Louder and able take some power would be nice too.. Would also like to keep it 4ohms.

I use an old SWR basic 350 (does 2 ohms) with the Aural Enhancement bypass mod... looking to use this setup with a new alternative rock band I’m doing a few shows with.

So any help on speaker or tuning port size for this cab would be great! Thanks

F61E7331-AFC9-4F31-B9C0-E16403F5BF06.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  2. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I was thinking of going with the eminence legend ca154? Also wondering what port length to go with.. thanks for any help on resurrecting this cab

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  3. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Well I downloaded the app Speaker Box Lite.. seems to work pretty well. I got a port length size of 3.12” tuned 45hz with the CA154 driver Anyway just wondering now if anyone has used this app with success?

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    What does it look like with your existing driver?

wyleeboxer likes this.
  5. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Unfortunately the Carvin NE15-4 is not in the Speaker Box Lite data base and not a lot of specs on Carvin Website either for this driver. I might try to retune the cab with the Carvin driver and see if taking an inch off the port length helps with the low end a bit?
    Thanks Agedhorse!

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
  7. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Awesome Agehorse, I don’t recall these specs being available years ago. It’s a single 4ohm speaker box. After plugging in the NE15-8 numbers and tuning the box to 42hz (With port length 4”) the spl is coming up 95.95 if I’m reading it right? What other numbers should I be looking at? Would it help to tune the box 50hz area for 4 string bass?

thanks again!

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The tuning is all about how the filter model looks (which is analogous to how the low end will perform if you understand what you are looking at).

Can you post the plot of frequency response at 1 watt?

9. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I’m going to give it try! Not sure where in the program to find it but I’m just going to start hitting some buttons :)

10. Nice job on that cab, if I did that it would have nails coming out of odd places.

wyleeboxer likes this.
  11. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks, it’s was my first and only cab build

would anyone happen to know if the large partition support inside the cab would effect the port or tuning of the cab in anyway? It’s open about 3” top and bottom gaps if you look at the pics.. If so I might get in there with a hole saw and open it up

bobyoung53 likes this.
  12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Won't affect anything for any practical purposes.

wyleeboxer likes this.