Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

E flat tuning

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by straylightrun03, Sep 21, 2003.

1. how would i tune down to e flat tuning without the use of a chromatic tuner?

2. Use a piano or keyboard!

3. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Provided that you are already in standard tuning, tune down the G string half a step to F#(4th fret, D string)and then the usual stuff(i.e. open string-fifth fret or the harmonic on the 7th and 5th frets).
    If you want to downtune only the E string, tune it down in the way that the 6th fret-E string is the same pitch as an open A string.
    Hope that helps :)

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    First fret will be your E - A - D - G if you have a set tone tuner. So just fret the first and tune.

I tend to ask guitarist these days "Do you tune to A=440 or do you think you're Stevie Ray?". 2 of my last 3 guitarists felt the guitar "sounded and responded" better in Eb :rolleyes:

5. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    haha don't you hate that? I understand that tuning down half a step makes bending easier when you use big ole strings but it's so annoying to us bass players. It's even worse when the metalheads think it somehow makes things "heavier" :)