1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

E flat tuning

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by straylightrun03, Sep 21, 2003.

1. how would i tune down to e flat tuning without the use of a chromatic tuner?

2. Use a piano or keyboard!

3. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Provided that you are already in standard tuning, tune down the G string half a step to F#(4th fret, D string)and then the usual stuff(i.e. open string-fifth fret or the harmonic on the 7th and 5th frets).
    If you want to downtune only the E string, tune it down in the way that the 6th fret-E string is the same pitch as an open A string.
    Hope that helps :)

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    First fret will be your E - A - D - G if you have a set tone tuner. So just fret the first and tune.

I tend to ask guitarist these days "Do you tune to A=440 or do you think you're Stevie Ray?". 2 of my last 3 guitarists felt the guitar "sounded and responded" better in Eb :rolleyes:

5. haha don't you hate that? I understand that tuning down half a step makes bending easier when you use big ole strings but it's so annoying to us bass players. It's even worse when the metalheads think it somehow makes things "heavier" :)