1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

E string buzz when tuned to D

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LCBurt, Jan 18, 2012.

1. LCBurt

LCBurt

May 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Got a wierd problem...

I have a Fender Japanese Jazz that I am in the process of fixing up. I had a tech do a badly needed fret level on it and install a Hipshot D tuner.

I get it home and start playing everything seems ok, action is on the tall end of comfortable for me but I like it fairly low.

I try out the new D tuner and when I flip the switch the E string buzzes like crazy. Flip it back and it's fine again. I tuned the E string to D to see if it's an adjustment or installation problem with the Hipshot. Same thing, BuZZZZZ. I checked neck relief and it looks about right. I raise the E string saddle by a half turn on both adjustment screws and it's a little better but still pretty much unusable and that high of an action would be unacceptable to me anyway.

I am going to take it back to my tech but he will be out of town for a little over a week so I'm looking for any suggestions you guys may have.

Anybody run into this before?

Thanks

2. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    What size E string? 100 E tuned to D might be too floppy for your playing style, causing the buzz.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Another reason to get a 5 string bass.

4. LCBurt

LCBurt

May 2, 2011
    Michigan
    I will try a larger guage E and see if that helps. Thanks Jabsys.

Ric5, I have a fiver now. It is a Cort B5 I stumbled on when I switched from guitar not quite a year ago. I was playing everything I could find and I just loved the way it felt and since it was used the price was very nice.... Part of why I wanted to restore this Jazz and put a hipshot on it is I am looking at saving for a "nice" bass and I am trying to decide if I need a five or if a four with a hipshot would work. If a four works for me it opens up more options.